Topic

Glasses or Contacts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Glasses or Contacts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

This seems like a personal choice more than a backpacking thing. But anyway…

I've always worn glasses. I like my glasses. They look cool. I've tried contacts and they are a pain in the butt to deal with… uncomfotable to wear… and dry out my eyes. What's the point when I can just throw on my glasses and go? I've never had fogging issues except when walking to work in -30C weather when my warm breath can funnel up thru my scarf and behind my glasses… or maybe when our running on a cool foggy night. But 99% of the time for me… fogging has never been as issue.

The only thing I would like to think about is LASIK. Not because I don't like my glasses or I'm self-conscience about wearing them (I'm not)… but because LASIK would serve a real purpose and benefit for me… as an avid swimmer and surfer. I have daily contacts I can use… but when you're getting tossed around by 10 foot waves… they don't tend to stay in very long. So I just paddle out to the lineup and squint. My RX is only 2.75… so I can see well enough… but it would be nice to really be able to see 20/20 when at the pool or out surfing.

As for backpacking… my glasses are fine for backpacking. I've never had any issues. You could always get fitted for some daily lenses… and just try different options. Like… wear the contacts for a trip and see how you like it. Wear your glasses otherwise… etc. It doesn't have to be an either / or.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>but because LASIK would serve a real purpose and benefit for me… as an avid swimmer and surfer.

That's what put me over the edge eleven years ago. After having contacts sucked off my (closed) eyes several times while getting worked in big waves, I couldn't take the chance any more. I figured that even if I needed glasses or further surgery later it would still be worthwhile. And so it has proven. I may need reading glasses soon, but my distance vision is still 20/20.

I had PRK, which wasn't available in the US then, so I went to Canada. LASIK was developed soon after, and has worked out well for those I know who have had it done.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools