Topic

Murmur 2012 get DXG treatment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Murmur 2012 get DXG treatment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I've used a Murmur since they became available – I really like the look of the new OTT (Over The Top) closure system. I've had some issues closing the pack completely on the first day of a trip when I'm fully loaded with food and it looks like the new top will fix that issue.

I may be seeing another pack in my future…

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I love it! It reminds me of the Granite Gear Wisp!

I wonder what the weight is going to be? All that Dyneema weighs a bit more than the sil. I hope they keep it under 10 oz, I might be buying one

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

That looks pretty exciting. My pack I made and use right now is modeled after the murmur. I agree, the new top closure looks like it will be very helpful.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If you click on specs it says 8.1oz(231 grams)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"If you click on specs it says 8.1oz(231 grams)"

I think that is for the 2011 model, which was heavier than my earlier model. Looks like this one may have scope creep… or is it weight creep :) ala GoLite? It will be interesting to see.

It says more information will be posted later.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Under closer inspection I cannot tell if that 8.1 oz is for the new version or old. The specs for the 2012 are different but a lot of it is just the same as the old version.

It seems like the packlid is back! Laufbursche seems to have started this revival and I'm real happy to see it everywhere from Zimmerbuilt to this new Gossamer Gear pack. My hope is that some form of a lid can be made to comfortably carry a bear cannister on top of a small pack.

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

I agree, the lid looks pretty neat. But ouch that price!!! for 155 we could get three full DXG Mec Genie!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

From Gossamer Gear:
    Between 8-9 oz. We will post the exact weight once they come off the sewing floor, and make sure
    they are consistent. :)

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

It looks sweet, but a $65 price jump on a pack that is designed no to last a long time? I have and love my murmur, and it has lasted longer than I expected, but I am sewing reinforcements here and there every few trips. Maybe the new one will have a little stronger material.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The Murmor’s predecessor, the G5, had a lot of durability issues. I kept using it well beyond it’s anticipated one year life span by patching, and reinforcing the bottom, pouches and shoulder straps.
    The main impetus seems to be on durability. I just retired my G5 this fall. The spinnaker did not ever fair well with any load much over 10-12lb. There were probably 2 ounces of patches on it. This fall I stepped on a small outcrop headed down a hill and slid down a ways when it broke off. The one pouch and bottom of the pack were shredded. IF the bottom of the pouches and pack were heavier dynema, it may well have survived. Anyway, I got a couple more years out of it than I had expected. But it was also super light weight of around 7oz with a capacity of ~2400c (sorry, I don’t remember the exact numbers. Really, it was too big for the load capacity; I was always rolling it down.)
    Shortly thereafter, they started producing the G5 in Silnylon. Same pattern, different, more rugged material but it weighed about 8oz. The shortage of spinnaker and it’s tendency to give slowly and split, probably had a lot to do with it. My daughter carries this one along with a night light pad.
    The 2011 Murmor was ~2200ci at ~8.1oz in silnylon, doubled in wear areas.
    The 2012 Murmor is 2200ci at ~9oz with dynema and a lid.
    I think this pretty much confirms the weight creep. Capacity is reduced somewhat(it could be well afforded) but the main advantage I see is the much improved durability. But, at ~10oz, that is a LOT of weight to pay.
    Have you seen the new The Minimalist? Phil put up an initial impressions review at:
    http://sectionhiker.com/the-minimalist-ultralight-day-pack-from-gossamer-gear/

Scott H.

@handyman439

anyone have a pic of the new murmor? it doesnt appear to be on the website anymore.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

"Have you seen the new The Minimalist? Phil put up an initial impressions review at:
    http://sectionhiker.com/the-minimalist-ultralight-day-pack-from-gossamer-gear/"

Looks like a good alternative to the REI Flash 18.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I had a previous version Murmur, which was the most comfortable pack I have carried. I sold it because it was too fragile for my hiking, and I was worried about tearing it up above tree line. I also hated the closure system with a passion, which takes away all the fun when out on the hill.
    The 2012 version fixes all the niggles I had with the older version, so if I needed another pack, I'd buy one.
    We'll see if I can convince myself I need another pack for next year. I only have two, an Ion, which is my go-to pack, and a NF Verto, which I'm in two minds about.
    Bring on the Spring!!
    cheers,
    fred

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, It looks real good, but a little heavier than I like. I can live with that. I need another one after the demise of the old G5… I especially like the looks of the line locks instead of belts. Off hand it looks OK, but I need to see a good description and drop Glen a line to see what he says.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools