Topic

What to do with 1 yd of silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What to do with 1 yd of silnylon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

I'm making a 9×5 tarp out of silnylon seconds from owfinc. I had to order 4 yards instead of 3 because I could not meet their minimum order (only for 1st order). So, now I have an extra yard of silnylon and I dont know what do do with it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about making a rain skirt.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I had the same question about one week ago. I made a small backpack about the size of a daypack, and it is sized just right to haul a Bear Vault 500. With shoulder straps and everything, it weighs 1.4 oz.

If I had less than one yard, I just make stuff sacks since they can be practically any size and be useful.

–B.G.–

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

with smart cutting a rain jacket or anorak ?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

You could make Mark Henley's pack. It took exactly 1 sq/yd of fabric. I made this as my first pack. I made a new one very quickly after and changed a lot, but you could use it as a guideline for cutting pieces and make something. You can google search

Henley_1oz_instructions.pdf

you can find some things. I think I have it saved on my computer and can send it to you as well if you would like.

Conner D

@cdipaolo

The daypack sounds nice. I dont have the skills to cut a anorak or anything like that (cutting is the worst part of sewing for me) but I can do strait edges well. Was the daypack similar to the gossamer gear Riksack? Thanks for the suggestions.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

If you're looking for a really simple project, with a yard, you could make a custom-sized pack cover and probably have enough left over for a few stuff sacks.

patrick agius

@streamline

Multi-use item pack cover/gear hammock/mini-tarp/water bag/ bear bag.

Conner D

@cdipaolo

After thinking about it I will probably make the Henley Pack because it is so simple but so functional. Thanks for all the suggestions.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

One yard should be enough to make a wine bladder that could easily hold 3 gallons.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools