Topic

Looking for backpacking partner(s) [mid-Atlantic region]

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for backpacking partner(s) [mid-Atlantic region]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matt Perry

@perry_the_platypus

Locale: Maryland

Hello all,

Beginner backpacker here, located near Baltimore/DC area, looking for other folks interested in making some weekend winter trips within reasonably short driving distance (<300 mi). I would estimate that I could do a good 10-12 mi, or more if necessary, per day with a <25 lb pack.

Since becoming interested in backpacking a few months ago, it's been difficult to find like-minded people wanting to head out to brave the elements. I find myself shunning old friends/habits that no longer seem to fit into my new, more active lifestyle. Which is what brings me here.

So hit me up if you're in my area and we'll get something rolling.

Perry

Allan Peretz

@alibi

Locale: The Ozarks

I'm out of your geography, however, I suggest checking meetup.com if you haven't already. The site lists local clubs & events for nearly any interest (backpacking, astronomy, volunteering, poker, whatever…). In my area, there are 3-4 active hiking and backpacking groups.

Matt Perry

@perry_the_platypus

Yes, I'm a member of a couple of backpacking meetups. But it looks like they've slowed down during these colder months and/or only have day hikes scheduled. Maybe it's just because of the holidays.

Thanks for the suggestion though; meetup has been the best resource I've found so far for meeting new people.

Mary Grace De Ocampo

@mgdeocampo

Hi I was thinking for traveling but the problem is i dont have groups or partner to be with.. Im just wondering if you can suggest clubs or people or even website were I can meet. By the way Im from Philippines.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Hi Matt, I started DC UL Backpacking a few years ago on meetup and then decided last summer that I would prefer to leave meetup and backpack with folks I personally knew who enjoyed 20 mile days and aggressive weekend trips to PA, VA, WV, etc — some of whom are BPL regulars. DC UL Backpacking is still in the meetup community but you're right that the frequency of the outings is down. Of course, there are several other area meetups that cater to a non-BPL crowd and reduced mileage plan.

I agree that meetup is great but I grew fatigued with trying to vet new folks in advance to see if they were compatible with the group's style and, worst of all, I was very disturbed by folks who assessed their backpacking speed/stamina higher than reality warranted and either got themselves in over their heads on one of my trips or caused everyone else to go out of their way and accommodate at the expense of the group. (I'm not talking about injuries which can and will happen to folks but rather an inability to keep up with 3 m.p.h group speed in any situation.)

I encourage you to backpack with Ryan at DC UL Backpacking and if that works out for you and you want to join my non-meetup group of folks who know each other well, have Ryan or one of the other guys who knows me vouch for you and I'd be happy to include you on one of our trips that goes out at least once a month for 25-70 mile weekend outings based out of DC. (This isn't meant to be mean or exclusive — I've just been burned too many times by folks who swore up and down that they could knock out 20 mile days no problem and then turned out to not have that ability.)

Matt Perry

@perry_the_platypus

Funny you mention DC UL Backpacking because I just got back from Massanutten Mountain with Ryan and another guy this past weekend. This was the first meetup I've attended with DC UL and was on the fence about it for quite a while. I didn't join them until about a week ago because I wasn't very confident in my ability to keep up with their pace. The DC UL meetup page is a little intimidating =P.

We covered about 19 mi over the two days including out-and-backs to the knobs. Like I said I was on the fence about attempting to try an outing with them but thankfully I kept up on everything except the Waterfall Mountain portion; had to hang back for just a minute. I think joining your non-meetup group of people would be great but I'd need to work at this for a bit; I don't think I'm quite up to speed with the rest of you and Ryan would probably agree.

There are also still a few things I need to replace on my gear list. My pack at the start of this trip was 19 lbs total, but I think I can improve it a bit further.

I'll continue to pick out some of the smaller DC UL trips that are good challenges for me and will ping Ryan for some feedback if/when I'd be a good fit for your group.

Thanks for the post.

Ian Smith

@smiia482

Locale: MD/WV

Hey Matt, I'm in your area (roughly) and always keen for sharing a trip. I moved back from Scotland to the extreme western part of MD a couple months ago and try to get out at least a few days every month. New to proper winter backpacking but certainly interested… suffering is better when shared ;) Also, my first love is canoe tripping and shuttles are hard to find, so if you have any interest in that sort of thing let me know.

Nick C.
    BPL Member

@nixie

There's definitely a few of us around!

I'd be game for some trips this winter, it's tricky finding people with a suitably skewed sense of fun to go out when it's cold.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm going out with an experienced UL style group Jan 6-8 to cover 30 miles or so. PM if interested.

Nick C.
    BPL Member

@nixie

I'm interested. PM sent.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools