Topic

Home dehydrated coconut milk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Home dehydrated coconut milk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Hey, you divas of dehydrating, what happens when you spread a can of coconut milk on dehydrator trays? I cannot seem to find powdered coconut milk that does not have casein in it. I was told that the casein is to keep the solids from separating. Just wondered if anyone has tried it, and what results they've had.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Creamed-Coconut/dp/B00113ZZ5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322520587&sr=8-1

Diane you can find this in many natural food stores – I know I have seen it at PCC and Marlenes in Federal Way and if I am right also at Whole Foods. Treat it just like coconut cream powder!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

At least that's in a tetrapak, and not a can! So, just take a smaller container of this along, and pour/scoop it into whatever I'm making–cocoa, soup, mix it in rehydrated pumpkin bark?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

It is actually bar like – it is neat, you can cut/scrape off what you need :-) Shelf stable too!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I've used the creamed coconut and it works well enough and is casein free. It's a little heavy but good calorie to weight ratio. It reminds me of very hard fudge (for lack of a better description). The stuff I buy is wrapped in a waxy paper and is in a box.

Sometimes you can find coconut milk powder without casein but it can be pricey.

Walter Fetterley
    BPL Member

@fette006

This might be a good starting place for a trail bar.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

I came across this post whilst doing a Google search on dehydrating coconut. So has anyone tried dehydrating a tin of coconut milk/cream? It's very high fat so I would assume it would still have a shorter shelf life than other foods but I'd love to know if it turns out ok. Would make an excellent high calorie base for hiking curries.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools