Topic

ultra-tall, ultra-lite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ultra-tall, ultra-lite?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

I’m 6’6″ and 180 lbs, which makes getting outdoorsy clothing something of a challenge, especially for tops (42″ chest, 37″ sleeve). Do folks have recommendations for UL clothing manufacturers who make tall sizes, or for brands that happen to run tall? (assume that I have nothing so far).

At the moment, I’m looking at a montane windshirt, but I haven’t been able to get information from them about sleeve lengths. Can somebody with an L or XL featherlite or aero shirt estimate sleeve lengths for me?

Many thanks.

Roland
    BPL Member

@robson

Nathan,
    I’m 6’3, 190 lbs and I have the Aero in Xl and the Featherlight in XXL. The Aero just fits me, meaning I can live with it, whereas the XXL is more comfortable. I also have the FeatherlightPants in XXL that fits me perfectly. Montane has a really weird sizing, and I’m not sure if they manufacture XXL sizes at all. I mailed them because of the eVENT Airpant, which in XL is only 33 long, but they told me they don’t make it in XXL
    Roland

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m 6’2″. I use Cloudveil Rodeo pants, and they are very long. I bought XL or XXL–don’t rememer–the ones with a 42″ waist. I normally have a 34″ inseam, and these pants almost hit the floor without shoes on. It’s a little wide for my waist, but I figure it’s that much more breathable. But I think they had one more size larger. You’ll want to check the waist, though.

BTW I think these pants are amazing; they keep me warm into the 30s and cool into the 80s, and are about as light as you can find. I no longer carry shorts, and no longer need to apply sunscreen/bug spray to my lower legs.

Roland
    BPL Member

@robson

it’s funny, I own the Rodeo Pants too (size XL) and to my taste it could be a bit longer,plus I find that the material on my Rodeo wears out pretty fast.
    Roland

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

XL sleeve length is 36″ from centre of collar. You would probably want an XXL for the body length – I am 6′ and the XL is a good fit.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

You may want to check out Railriders.com for shirts and pants. I have found that their stuff runs long. Also try Cabellas, the hunting and outdoors catalog store.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Montane did get back to me, reporting “The sleeve lengths for the Featherlite and Aero are the same and are as follows: Underarm L-51cm, XL-52cm”. (Why do they give me metric lengths when their size chart uses imperial measurements?). I went ahead and ordered an XL, will report how it fits when it arrives.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

try dividing the metric lengths by

for an “approximate” answer (close enough for gov’t work)

OR…

simply use what most people do and round to two digits & use 2.54 cm/in (also close enought for gov’t work in many cases).

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Backpack Gear Test.org at

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

has a excellent Conversion thing. You might want to look at it. It is my number 4 Bookmark I use it that much.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

You can always use Google for conversions.

Search for “22 ounces in grams”, and it will give you the answer.

Dylan Skola
    BPL Member

@phageghost

Locale: Southern California

am rather fond of:

http://www.onlineconversion.com

nathan matthews

@nathanm

For the record–

I just thought it was weird that Montane themselves used both systems. They also use underarm sleeve length, which is different than the sleeve lengths I use to buy shirts here.

But thanks for the reminders about how to convert things!

:-)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools