Topic

John Muir at Oakland Museum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion John Muir at Oakland Museum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

This weekend we visited the Oakland Museum of California to see their exhibit on John Muir and the Sierra Nevada. It's a great exhibit; one that allows you to explore Muir and his writings, teachings, and impact on America. What's not to like?

And just so you know, Muir's pack weighed 7 pounds, according to the museum, which makes him a true SUL. Of course, that doesn't include his clothes…

But there's more–the exhibit also draws attention to some of the current heirs to Muir's philiosphy: those fighting the good fight to preserve our natural places and keep our wildernesses alive: from Alaska to Oakland, High Sierra to deep caverns.

And while this exhibit is well worth seeing, so is the rest of the OMCA. The history wing has wonderful exhibits from every era of California history. To start, there is a stunning collection of Native American baskets and other implements. And then you can follow the state from era to era, ranchos to gold mining, railroads to depression, WWII to today. Along the way, you meet many of the ethic groups that have helped form our culture and society.

It's a great example of good museum curation, and brought to mind a quote from John Muir that was written with wilderness in mind:

"When we try to pick out any thing by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."

True of nature. True of California.

Here's a link to the OMCA Muir exhibit: http://museumca.org/muir

Bob Salcedo

@baughb

Locale: So Cal.

Would have loved to see that.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

When Muir did all his exploring and got into all his adventures he never had any donkeys with him…if he was lucky he had one of two dogs with him Stickeen or Carlo. I could be wrong but I think one of the only times he had pack animals was when he got hired to help drive sheep from the bay area up into the high country meadows of the sierras, and even at that, they were only used to move his base camp. The guy was bad ass, went off for days on end with a half stale loaf of bread, some tea and a coat.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I can't comprehend how his pack could have weighed 7 pounds, when a wool blanket or a canvas tarp both weighed several pounds. Unless he was going primitive with a fire and natural shelter, in that case 7lbs would make perfect sense. But that is impossible to do above the treeline.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dan, I believe that you are correct. His first summer in the Sierra, when he herded sheep, was very educational for him. I believe that book text is online, and it is good to read when you are sitting out by Yosemite Creek some day. On the last time I was up there, I found the spot where the sheep herd forded the creek, and I could just imagine their camps. In addition, he probably had a box of matches in his pocket.

I wonder if he made it around Florence Lake?

–B.G.–

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I think they meant his pack alone weighed 7lbs…

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Bob
    Thats a good question. I havent heard anything about him up there. I know that Ansel Adams had been up there. I also know that the "original first doctor" from Yosemite Valley made it up to Florence, so I guess theres a good chance Muir made it up there

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools