Topic

BPA in Canned Foods

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition BPA in Canned Foods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Found this on the Web. Thought I'd pass it on.

"People who eat canned soup should be aware that a chemical used to line the tin can leach into the food and end up in the body, say scientists."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15834072

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Considering that the same liner is required by the FDA to be used in any tomato can in the US….I wouldn't stress on it. For example there are BPA free brands of canned foods (Eden is one) but even they have to use it for tomatoes. And glass jars are NO better – the lids have the same spray/liner on the inner part. The lining ensures no change due to acidic foods contacting metal and keeps the food fresher longer (think back 20-30 years ago when canned food got a tinny taste). And of course the same liner is used in beer and pop cans as well.

And frankly eating canned soup is pretty bad for the body when looking at the major brands. No one and on one needs 950 mg of sodium for half a can of soup (how many people actually eat 1/2 a can??) I watched this on the news and gah…….canned food items can be a good choice in moderation (say canned beans that are low sodium) but highly processed sodium bombs like soup is just really, really bad for people. I'd rather the BPA lining than all that sodium!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sarah has it exactly right regarding high sodium content in many canned foods.

And then there are freeze-dried "sodium bombs" that are actually much worse. Are they too cheap to use good spices instead of sodium to get good flavor?

That's why I love FBC meals. I'm on a low sodium diet to keep from having a reoccurance of Menier's Syndrome (extreme vertigo) so low sodium foods are a necessity for me. Over the decades it has worked very well.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Eric…I am sorry to hear you have that! I got diagnosed with it in 2005 before a Neurologist figured out I was actually having vertigo migraines. Ironically…the way to control the episodes was the same diet!! Lower sodium, as much natural as I can and I had to remove all artificial dyes out of my diet along with preservatives (I eat very little meat due to this) and so on. Not easy and it was a huge focus behind the FBC recipes after say 2006.

When I do review commercial meals now on the blog I take only a bite or two and rarely swallow – I just taste it. Very few companies can I actually eat ;-) Hehheh!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools