Topic

Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

Maybe I overlooked them, but I was wondering what are the measurements for the sauce ingredients? I do not see them listed.

Thanks,

Nick

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Nick – the ingredients are listed in Mike's article and discussed further in the posts above.

Greg & Nia – I started using the individual pleated silicone muffin cups that Mike suggested but found them fiddly to clean up so I bought a six-muffin silicone tray with smooth sides like the blue one pictured above. I was just about to cut it into singles when I noticed on the underside of the tray and on the packaging strongly worded warnings NOT to cut the tray. Anyone know why this is? Is there a problem with silicone leaching or something?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Great article! Thanks for reviving it Nick.

I love the idea of sauces and spices to allow you to adjust flavorings on the trail. I've had dishes in the past that I started to hate due to the spice blend- easy to correct with this system.

Last summer in the Sierra I had a steamed muffin or two every day for two weeks. I made a little riser from a cat food can and then baked in disposable aluminum muffin liners. At 9,000 to 12,000 feet I cooked them for 12-15 minutes and they were done. I never got a goey one but I can't imagine 6 minutes being long enough. From tests at home my Jetboil used about 4 grams of fuel to simmer for 15 minutes. I was amazed that it never blew out even with a very tiny flame.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Nick, no clue why your try says not to cut it. When I have done so it seems completely uniform inside and hasn't deteriorated, although I haven't used it much. I know there are some sheet pan liners that have fiberglass reinforcement and obviously one would not want to cut that.

BTW I've since abandoned the silicone muffin trays and gone to a snow peak titanium bowl. I wanted more food than I could reasonable fit in the little cups. This allows me to use it as a major food source rather than just a treat. Replaces energy bars for me.

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I think my question was misunderstood or I misunderstood your answer.

In either case, take, for example, the list of ingredients in the Pesto Sauce. Yes, the ingredients are listed, but not the quantity of each ingredient.

For example, 1/4 teaspoon of chopped fresh basil, 1/2 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic — I don't see that information listed.

Thanks,

Nick

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

And the death shall rise again =)

Great article Mike, I got a lot of inspiration out of it and will test your recipes and the steam baking as well – just need a suitable cup (what a good excuse to buy some more gear!). Its awesome that vegetarian and vegan options are discussed, and those are so delicious that I will be off to the shop tomorrow to get some ingredients.

Finally, excellent artwork. I'm just reading "Lighten Up!" and really enjoy your drawings.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Mike, I've read this article numerous times. I have had many great meals thanks to this article. I am in the final stages of planning a thru-hike and I'm curious about how many servings you get per batch if made as instructed. If not that, then the total weight of combined ingredients for each? I am most curious about the oatmeal, super spackle, and the biscuit mix. Thanks for a great article!

Meir Gottlieb
    Spectator

@mcg11

Mike,

How long before the sauces spoil?

Thanks

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

Mike suggests above that for the vegan recipes one should mix and taste to get something you like. I've tried some of his non-vegan combinations which he posted last year. The proportions in these might be good starting points for the vegan alternatives:
    BIG BULK recipes for SAUCES
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

middle eastern:
    2 cups tahini
    1 cup olive oil
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup falafel powder
    1 TB cumin
    2 TB salt
    1/2 bunch green onion (finely chopped)
    1 cup basil or cilantro
    1/4 cup chopped sunflower seeds
    1/3 cup vinegar
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup caramelized onion mix *

(add more tahini to thicken, or more olive oil to thin)

pesto (non-vegan):
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup parmesan
    1 cup Ramona
    3 cups fresh basil (chopped)
    1/4 cup crushed garlic
    2 cups sun dried tomato (chopped)
    1 cup walnuts (chopped)
    1 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts
    1 tbs. salt
    1/2 tbs. pepper
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup dry italian spice

(Add more parmesan to thicken, or more olive oil to thin)

thai peanut sauce:

2 cups peanut butter
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup soy sauce/tamari
    1/4 cup veg. oil
    4 cloves crushed garlic
    1 TB curry paste (green)
    1 TB brown sugar
    2" piece fresh ginger (shredded)
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1 cup chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts)
    1/4 cup hot sauce
    1/2 cup caramelized onion mix *

(add more peanut butter to thicken, and more oil to thin)

indian spice:

1 fresh chopped jalapeno
    1/3 cup fresh ginger
    6 cloves crushed garlic
    1 cup coconut oil
    1 TB nutmeg
    4 TB garam masala
    1 teas cayenne
    1 bunch cilantro
    2 TB salt
    1 TB falafel powder (garbonzo powder)
    1 cup shredded coconut
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup Shiraka (sp?) chili/garlic hot sauce

blend and simmer 10-15 minutes

(add more falafel/garbonzo powder to thicken, or more oil to thin)

MOLE:
    2 cup tomato paste
    1 cup olive oil
    6 dried guajillo chilies (chopped)
    2 cups almonds (chopped)
    1 TB oregano
    1 TB pepper
    1 teas cloves
    1 cup caramelized onion mix*
    2 cups raisins
    2 TB cinnamon
    2 TB salt
    1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    (simmer 30 minutes)

after simmering blend with:
    1/2 cup cocoa
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup Shiraka (sp?) chili/garlic hot sauce
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

*caramelized onion mix
    (this is a very flavorful paste that can be added to several recipes)

Fill a big skillet with finely chopped onions, add a LOT of veg. oil. Simmer uncovered for an hour on low heat. Stir often, add salt & pepper. The end result will be a thick brown oily paste. The water in the onions will totally boil off, and it will be replaced by the oil.

The original thread with this material is at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27845 I find that much food for backpacking has enough salt in it already, so I tend to use less salt than many recipes suggest. For short time storage, I believe much of the salt added is optional.

Jim

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

WOW, i recently made this oatmeal and its amazing. The almond extract definitely is the cherry on top.

F. Thomas Matica

@ftm1776

Locale: Vancouver, WA

I haven't read the whole thread, so bear with me, if redundant, please.

I had initial concerns about how "my" system would pack without a lid. I've used just the tin foil lid, so no problem with that aspect.

How would I keep my other stuff in the pot during transport???

Then the obvious hit me……when packing up, just put the cozy over the open top of the pot. No top, no stuff sack or strap, all items held secure.

The cozy is great, but I've used my jacket or wind shirt as a "cozy" in warmer weather and it works quite well.

Scott Tanner

@scott-tanner

On the subject of MYO pot cozy materials- closed cell foam and windshield reflector both work great but a quick trip to The Home Depot or Loews and you could pick up a roll of material called Reflectix. It's a roll of 7 layered material used to insulate hot water heaters and air ducts as well as other insulating projects. It has a double sided coat of reflective aluminum sandwiching multiple layers of insulating material. A small roll cost ~US$15 and is big enough for many projects. The stuff is great.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools