Topic

Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

I bought a SnowPeak bowl like the one pictured in the article.

I mixed up a batch of corn muffin batter. Oiled the inside of the bowl and set my pot on my kitchen stove with 4 pebbles in the bottom to elevate the bowl.

Timing started from the time steam was visible escaping from under the lid.

6 minutes – muffin was about half done. Into the trash.
    8 minutes – muffin was 3/4 done. I picked at the edges – not bad.

I'm trying 10 minutes next but this is pushing it for alcohol or Esbit stove use.

I'm at 7800 ft but I doubt this is a problem. I'm thinking the batter is too thick. The only batter I'm familiar with (I'm not a baker) is pancake batter.

Should the muffin batter look runny like a pancake batter or is lumpy OK?

Any help is appreciated…..

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

I thinned the batter to pancake consistency with the following results.

6 Minutes – worst muffin EVER, raw batter in a shell.

With only enough batter left for 1 more test I cranked the time up to 10 minutes.

10 minutes – not good. Similar to 8 minutes with the thicker batter.

Maybe the steam environment calls for less moisture?

Just to be clear I'm filling the SnowPeak bowl to about half it's height.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Greg, I know when I do my muffins and stuff, I steam them for 15 minutes (I based this on the suggestions from the actual Bakepacker website btw).

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Try a muffin baking cup worth of batter. That should be done in about 6 minutes – or one esbit tab worth. The snow peak bowl holds a lot of batter. Probably 3 muffin cups worth like the Betty Crocker Warm Delights mini – which takes about 15 minutes to steam.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

I use a thicker batter, guessing that the steam will add moisture.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Wow – I'm glad to see that this article has generated so much cool chatting.

About steam baking. THe batter needs to be THICK! And, you can't over fill the vessel (the snow peak titanium bowl is perfect) About 1/2 way is good. The batter should rize and fill it up.

Also – i am gunna praise the esbit tab. It has a built in timer, about 12 minutes.

AND – Just a TINY bit of water in the bottom of the pot. About a 1/4 inch deep MAX!

Bon Apitite

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Carol,

Your suggested times are correct. Thanks!

I went to a Kmart and found a Silicone 6 muffin pan. Took it home and cut out 2 individual muffin cups (leaving a slight rim and leaving 2 "ears" to grab them).

I can easily cook 2 of these at one time in my Evernew 1.3L pot.

I also got the SnowPeak bowl to work by increasing the time to 14-15 minutes.

I like the idea of the silicone muffin cups because I don't have to baby them and the food pops right out.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

I just heard about these from Mike C! Is there any problem cleaning them in the field so they can be reused on another night? (Wondering about the folds.)

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Don't get the ones with the ruffled sides. Too many edges to clean. But there are ones with smooth sides which clean up very well. I carried one on the JMT this summer and loved having hot black and whites (chocolate cake with white chocolate chips).

Silicone is about as nonstick as it gets. Also doubles as a pot grabber/hot pad.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Double as hot pads – great idea!
    I didn't know they came ruffle-less – I'll be on the lookout for some. Cool!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Also, you can pop/invert/flip most of the silicone muffin cups inside out to make it real easy to clean off (lick the crumbs clean)… however I"m talking about the smooth sided ones, not the ruffled ones as Nia mentioned

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

What does one of the silicone cups weigh?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I have a 5" mini round pie pan that fits just inside the AGG 3-cup pot. It weighs 1 oz. Same weight as the pot grabber it replaces.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Darn!
    5" diameter won't fit inside my SnowPeak 600 (about 3.5" diameter) or even my FireLite 1100 (about 4.5" D). I really need a muffin baking cup with no ridges. Are they out there?

The Betty Crocker Warm Delights mini plastic bowl won't replace a pot grabber, but it is reusable, easily cleaned and only weighs 0.2 oz with a 4" diameter – perfect in the 1100.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

No problem. You can get a muffin tray and cut out the individual cups as suggested above. Here's one:

http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=00231715&RankThis=Y&Searched=silicone&

Pay attention to the depth of the cup. This one's 1.5" deep with about a 3.75" diameter. You want a good sized muffin if you're going through the trouble.

Edit: These match your dimensions well at 3.5 x 1.5 and you don't need to cut.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/items/Silicone_Round_Mini_Pans_Set_6

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Excellent!
    Thanks Nia.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

http://fantes.com/images/21703silicone.jpg

This one looks like the muffin tray I bought at Kmart. 10 bucks. Cleanup is ridiculously easy. There are no ridges on the inside of the cups.

I had not thought of the pot grabber idea. I did think that this would be a good way to steam/poach eggs without much trouble.muffin tray

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

I went to Target yesterday – they have a nice selection of silicone stuff. Including individual muffin cups, muffin pans like in the photo above, and a 1 cup measuring cup that collapses that probably could be stripped of handle and used for steaming. I bought KitchenAid brand "Fluted Silicone Baking Cups" that are mini bundt pans with an inverted hollow cone in the center. 12 on sale for $10. Each one weighs 0.7 oz. The cone in the center should help muffins cook faster. I wanted something smooth but couldn't resist these little babies. Although bigger than a muffin cup, they hold about the same amount of batter – only 1/4 cup. One fits fine in my SnowPeak 600. Haven't tried it out yet and still love the idea of those mini cake pans that should just fit in my SP 600. I'll be on the lookout for them!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

IMPORTANT NEWS!
    The MUFFIN issue has been solved, at least a light weigh solution.

I made 4 extremely CUTE and utterly PERFECT muffins.

(see photos)

Visit this link:
    http://www.surlatable.com/product/kitchenbakeware/cupcakes+&+muffin+pans/reusable+sili-cups&%238482-,+set+of+12+pastel.do

These very pretty pastel silicone muffin cups are the freekin' bomb! Using these (4 per 1.5 liter MSR titanium pot) are utterly simple, small enough to avoid "sogginess" and their colors add a festiveness to the humble muffin.

.32 oz per pastel cup

* The muffin batter was simple pancakebatter.
    * I used a smaller titanium lid under the muffin cups while steaming.
    * Approx 12 minutes cook-time (about the same as 1 esbit tab)
    * Yummy…

peace and love light-weight comrades!
    M!

It was so easy, even Scott Cristy could do it!

cover shot for GOURMET magazine

lookin' good

nice!

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

NICE

VERY NICE

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

andy

LOOK! Andy Skurka, the lightweight hiking fiend, makes muffins. Fuctionality vs WOW-factor.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

dudddddde, my wife and I were cooking yesterday when she broke these same muffin cups out and the same idea dawned on both of us…..

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Mike,

The link to the muffin cups doesn't work.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

– try this link –

Andrew Blair

@nicemarmot

Locale: Cacapoopoopeepeeshire

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

so, so helpful.

Cindy (the girly half of Cindy and Andy)
    http://www.cindigo.com

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools