Topic

Ketogenic diet as a way to lighten pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Ketogenic diet as a way to lighten pack?

Viewing 4 posts - 226 through 229 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

did you start ketogenic diet before your trip?

is there a period of time that your body requires to convert to ketogenic mode before the trip?

Adam Cassis
    BPL Member

@acassis

Locale: SoCal

I did strict Keto first few months of this calendar year.  then i lossened up a bit, ate fruit from time to time but mainly keto.  first few days on keto i went thru the “keto flu” (low energy, foggy brain), very mild.  for some it lasts weeks with more symptoms.  i would highly recommend you get into ketosis if you are going to do a keto diet in the backcountry, say a month prior to be sure.

another benefit to keto diet is that i really didnt need a stove for the meals.  unless you need that cup of hot coffee in the morning, i would leave at home which i will do next time i’m out.

AC

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

thanks

I bet you’d lose some weight too

Adam Cassis
    BPL Member

@acassis

Locale: SoCal

The weight loss comes easy. At long as you have fat in your body, you have energy to hike. Last time I hooked the JMT i was not keto and did over 60 miles in my first 3 days on trail.  I felt nauseous for what I believe now was my body going in and out of ketosis due to glycogen depletion during the day and intermittent carb loading at meals and snacks. Last thru hike keto adapted I felt great the whole time and never felt I needed to eat and definitely didn’t bonk or feel nauseated

Viewing 4 posts - 226 through 229 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools