Topic

PolarPure shut down by the DEA :(

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PolarPure shut down by the DEA :(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    David Wills

@willspower3

Polar Pure Shut Down

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Sad to see it go. Used one bottle for the whole AT in 09 and it still has plenty crystals left. Best deal for water treatment outside of bleach at $15. Good luck Mr. Wallace on finding a new business.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The newspaper article was discussed here one day ago.

–B.G.–

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I never trust any official who uses the term, "collateral damage." It is just pablum for a controlling personality disorder.

Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

Ugh this is awful. Stupid meth heads. Polar Pure was easily the best/easiest water purification method I've used in the backcountry. I have been telling everyone about it and now the DEA shuts em down. I feel bad for Mr. Wallace.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I feel bad for Mr. Wallace."

I've met him, and he is kind of a nice old guy. Most of the hikers around here know him.

–B.G.–

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Its not the tweakers that caused problems for Wallace, its the over-reaching, completely off-point and ineffective war on drugs. And with that I end my teeny tiny manifesto, back to your regular programming.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Typical government bureaucracy. Same kind of controlling, over-reaching intrusion as the EPA flying Predator drones to check on ranchers in Nebraska. It's all about control.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

It time for him to retire enjoy life and collect his Social security. Do the smart thing and sell the formula for Polar Pure to a Drug company who can sell the product to a Drug stores who can keep track of the purchases like sudafed and other types of over the counter meds used by Meth cookers.

I don't care if you think the government is over stepping it bound on this drug but this time the drug law is correct in protecting it citizens from Crystal Meth.

Meth is a bad drug invented by germany during world war 2 to keep the troops going. Meth destroys peoples life, health,mental health and skin.
    Terry

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I wonder what the "prohibitively expensive security procedures" are that he won't implement?

That sounds like propoganda from reason.com

I also hate that when you click on that link, it fills up your history buffer so you can't back click your way out

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Terry, I agree Meth is terrible, and we're covered up with it down here. But I also don't believe that shutting down Polar Pure is going to do a thing about reducing the amount of meth. Maybe I should have read the story more closely.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I agree it won't do much

Better to sell all drugs from a "drug store" where they can also treat and council people on how to quit or avoid negative side effects

Meth in particular is harmful, but making it illegal compounds it

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I'm usually all for the the rant against the government and overreaching actions, but this sounds like a reasonable regulation.

The DEA has (and probably should) control precursors to synthetic drugs. You can purchase these precursors for legitimate use if you follow the regulations. In this case it's probably some prescribed security system/warehouse that is difficult for organized meth cookers to break into.

From another article, in response to questions about his security system he sent a photo of his dog. I like humor, but it doesn't get you very far with regulators that are generally easy to appease if you make their job easier. Granted the invasion of privacy and list of customers is excessive, but it's unclear if that was a response to the dog photo or an initial request (as in, if you don't do A, then do B).

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/22/1039037/-My-Friend-Meth-Labs-and-the-Feds

At the same time crystalline iodine isn't that effective a water treatment compared to other modern solutions. Just for clarity I'm the first to attack idiocy of the DEA (such as having marijuana schedule 1 when heroin and cocaine aren't even that regulated). Sucks, for sure, but not the end of the world.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I just don't understand why all the political puppets don't get it.. The only thing strict drug laws guarantee are higher rates of drug use, inflated prices, and more crime.. As they say in New Hampshire. Live Free, Or Die..

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

The only thing laws like this protect is the profits of the police unions and private prisons. Its no ones buisness what others choose to do to themselves. If people and the government really cared about health, sugar would be sold by prescription and HFCS would a crime to posses. Drugs are a serious medical problem and it only has a medical solution. Nixion's drug war has succeeded brilliantly in destroying black communities and suppressing the black vote by making as many minorities federal offenders as possible.
    Its time to call pro drug war people out for what they really are. Things like this only broaden the black market and undermine public safety for the profits of a few special intrests and are rationalized by fear mongering.
    -end of obligatory rant-

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

"I just don't understand why all the political puppets don't get it.. The only thing strict drug laws guarantee are higher rates of drug use, inflated prices, and more crime.. As they say in New Hampshire. Live Free, Or Die."

So the highly potent drugs that help spread HIV (and many other terrible diseases), cause parents to abandon or neglect children, create need for extremely expensive rehab programs and facilities, cause domestic violence, push men, women and children on the street , oh and cause many deaths due to overdose should be cheap?

What they say in New Hampshire matters not as that phrase has no relationship to the drug use. Unless people of New Hampshire are also advocating for cheap/free meth, cocaine, heroin … but then the drug overdose, hepatitis, HIV and others will get them. So the results is still "die" not "live free".

Brian Maynard – sugars (various kinds) are a part of an essential diet for humans. Furthermore, i have yet to see someone stab another person for a packet this terrible white drug.

People constantly misunderstand what freedom is and how it works. One man's freedom ends where another man's freedom starts. It is not the government limiting the freedoms, it is the other people limiting people's freedoms. Just because there is a freedom of speech, doesn't mean one can scream in my ear, in my house, in the middle of the night. Unless it is my kink of course.

Another example – people are free to come together and decide what they want their government to do and how it should protect their freedoms. It sucks to be in the minority, but everyone is free to leave or build a majority.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"So the highly potent drugs that help spread HIV (and many other terrible diseases), cause parents to abandon or neglect children, create need for extremely expensive rehab programs and facilities, cause domestic violence, push men, women and children on the street , oh and cause many deaths due to overdose should be cheap?"

Yep, just like alcohol and prescription drugs.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Shell we also deregulate use of highly explosive materials and super poisons like Botulinum Toxin and allow their recreational use under "i'm free to do what i want" logic?

If that "man of freedom" decides he is free to put that poison into public water supply – no amount of PolarPure is going to clean it…

Jeff Bullard

@dallasjeff

Over reaching. What's the difference between the iodine he sold and the iodine tabs you get in the little brown bottle for emergency water sterilization? The one that turns anything stored near it orange-brown.

BTW, best thing about Giardia? Doesn't nail you until a week later after you're back to civilization. Not pleasant.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The little brown iodine pills are an iodine compound. When dissolved in water, iodine is liberated, and that kills the bugs.

Polarpure is near-pure elemental iodine in crystal form. You pour water over it, let that stand, and a saturated iodine solution is formed in the bottle. Then you pour some of that by capfuls into your raw water bottle, and that is diluted to the right concentration, iodine is liberated, and that kills the bugs. The good thing is that one bottle of Polarpure crystals will last about forever if you dilute it correctly.

–B.G.–

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

"Brian Maynard – sugars (various kinds) are a part of an essential diet for humans."

Sure, that Big Gulp and cupcake is real "essential". Somehow I think Ill do just fine without sugary junk food. If you can't see that sugary junk foods are responsible for our public health crisis, well it explains your "logic"

"Furthermore, i have yet to see someone stab another person for a packet this terrible white drug."

Why would you? sugar is perfectly legal. Drugs on the other hand are controlled by a violent black market created by our government largely in response to the civil rights movement. People would not be stabbing each other if they were legal either. How often do you hear about an alcoholic attacking someone for alcohol? They are just as addicted as a coke head.

"People constantly misunderstand what freedom is and how it works"

your whole freedom argument is a straw-man on multiple levels. No one is advocating a blanket anarchism. they are calling for reforms in the laws.

"Another example – people are free to come together and decide what they want their government to do and how it should protect their freedoms. It sucks to be in the minority, but everyone is free to leave or build a majority."

Again, whats your point? People are free to come together and decide that the violent black market that has destroyed our poor communities should end. If you are in the minority you still have the right to express your opinion, educate and advocate to change the majorities opinion- thats how democracy works. besides the majority you speak of is largely made up of old baby-boomers who are out of touch and also probably don't care about the minorities in the intercity who have to live in the war zones set up for the profit of special interest.

You think diseased like HIV and Hepatitis would go up or down if clean needles were easy to find and you got your drugs from legal clean businesses. You don't think that disease is spread because people who have the medical problem of addiction and are forced to use in secret and hide from the authoritys? Or how about the fact that they are dealing with violent drug dealers everyday? Most of whom exploit addicts for sexual favors and other illegal dealings.

By the way, how is your war going? It seems to me the Mexican drug lords are doing quite well along with the police and prison industry considering America has the largest % of our population in jail far above China, Iran, or any other country we are told has less freedoms.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

a

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools