Topic

Extending sleeves?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Extending sleeves?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ungur
    BPL Member

@daught

I bought a small down sweater from Eddie Bauer. I tried a bunch of other brands but they all have short sleeves. I got the EB in the end because of it's nice fit all around, except the sleeves. Mediums are way too big around my waist. Any one have any ideas how I could extend the sleeves?

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

My dad always told me it was easier to cut something shorter than cutting it longer. You should be able to get the medium and have a seamstress fit it down to you.

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

EB is nice because they offer Tall sizes. I get a large in pretty much everything for the sleeve and torso length, and deal with the pillow fit in the girth, but EB's medium tall fits me like it was tailored for me. Try their small tall on for size.

Jeff

PS Let me add, since this the MYOG forum, that I agree with altering a size too big rather than trying to add to a size too small. Since I've been learning to sew in order to make my own gear, my most productive way of practicing has been to take in the torsos of sweaters, fleeces, etc that are long enough but too loose.

Paul Ungur
    BPL Member

@daught

Unfortunately they don't make small tall.

Hmmm that's something to keep in mind for other clothing items. I always have an issue with short sleeves. In this particular case the medium is also way too large around my hips and just about everywhere.

I found http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/77354.html
    These should fix my problem.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

By how many inches to the sleeves need to be extended?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Small/ Tall.

Brilliant! My buddy is that. 6', 130#… wtf?

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

Whoops, I guess it doesn't exist. Sorry; obviously I've never noticed before.

Those half gloves look cool, though I still think the best solution is to alter a medium so it fits.

Paul Ungur
    BPL Member

@daught

I would be happy with 2" added. What would I do to a medium to reduce the bulk around my waist? I really don't like loose fitting clothes because they are not as warm.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Why not ribbed fabric cuffs?

… or flame resistant cuffs for stoking campfires without turning into the 'Human Torch'?

Paul Ungur
    BPL Member

@daught

I went with a medium in the end. I have a hair clip to take up the slack around my waist on windy days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools