Topic

What exactly is clo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What exactly is clo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

So I've been reading a lot of threads that reference 'clo' when talking about synthetic insulation. I have never heard of this before and was wondering if someone could educate as to what it means and what it indicates. I'm assuming it has something to do with how well the material insulates but I'm not sure of anything beyond that.

Adam

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

It is a measure of thermal resistance for some specified thickness of insulation. clo, R value, TOG, and m2 K/W alll measure the same thing and you can convert from one representation to another. clo is the easiest to relate to because 1 clo is the value of a winter weight business suit ensemble that includes a shirt, ties, socks, underwear, and shoes.

For backpackers, clo/oz is very important because it allows us to compare the weight for specified amount of insulation.

This has been covered in the Forums many times. I suggest you do a forum search on this topic for more detail.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools