Topic

What size of daypack is everyone using?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What size of daypack is everyone using?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

I am curious to know what size of daypack everyone is using? Anyone get away with 15 to 20L with the ten essentials? For day trips, not a planned overnight.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I often dayhike with a bota bag for water and everything else (including a sandwich) in the pockets of my pants, shirt, and vest.

Stargazer

David Ure

@familyguy

I had considered using a small fanny pack to get close to your approach. My issue is that in the Rockies, I always get hit with rain at some point and the wind is pretty significant at higher altitudes which means extra clothing.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

REI Flash 18. I took the bladder pocket out and removed the waistbelt (the "suspension" can't carry loads large enough to warrant a waistbelt).

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I have a 20L daypack that is used for trips where I need to haul a lot of water, insulation, or other gear.

I also have a 6L running/biking pack that I take on most 3-season hikes. I like this size because it allows my back to breathe and has enough room for water, a shell, an insulation piece, my random accessories (e.g. wallet, phone) and not much else.

The 20L is cavernous for most of the stuff that I do around the bay area.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

REI Flash 18 here too. I stash my 7oz rain jacket in the bladder pocket to make for a cushy back panel.

For longer distance dayhikes through rough terrain or desert environments, I use a heavy duty Osprey Atmos 35 but think something similar but lighter in the 25L range would be perfect.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

I rarely go on a day hike where I actually need to take all ten of the essentials but no matter if all I'm taking is a couple of bottles of water or all ten essentials I always take my Flash 18. I'm kind of irrationally attached to this awesome little bag. I left the bladder sleeve in since it's great for holding a bit of CCF pad in and the little pockets are good for the small stuff. Someday I hope to be able to fit everything for a weekend in it, but for now I love it for my da hikes.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

As far as I know, I have 3 essentials. Water, food, and insulation.

I've gone all day with a nathan hpl 20, (about 3 litters).
    This was going up in the high sierras and way above 10k feet.

I think about 6 litters works a little better.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks guys. I am trying to go from using a 30L daypack to something under 20L. Quite frankly I like what Aaron said about the essentials – I seem to take more than I really need. Time to trim back and use a smaller pack.

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

+1 on the REI Flash 18. great design, and weighs about 9 oz. 18 L is more than enough for me do carry all I need for a day hike.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Talon 22. Usually half empty.

David Ure

@familyguy

Joe – even with all the water you have to carry?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

TrailLite Designs SingleTrack (Prototype)

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I'm using the pre-production version of the 750 ci TrailLite Designs "SingleTrack" (Eugene may get the updated version to test and review for BPL).

SingleTrack - 1

You can view additional pictures and information at:
    http://www.traillitedesigns.com/area51.htm

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Sea to Summit Ultrasil day pack – about 20 litres and 70 grams. Carries the basics and 1 to 2 litres of water. Shoulder straps could be better. PLanning to have look at the Sea to Summit Dry Day Sack which looks a little larger and better straps. May be able to do a summer overnighter with it.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thom – I love it!

When will this be available?

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Camelbak Hawg and Dakine Nomad. 19L and 18L respectively. Use these for both mountain biking and day hiking. More than enough room for a FAK, probar, water, and rain/puff jacket. Even a full bike repair kit when I'm biking or patrolling.

When day hiking I don't really worry about UL. With as little as I'm taking, I hardly notice the pack on my back. I also, usually fill up with 3l of water so I don't have to bother to stop to refill during the day.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

13L mec bullet pack that cost ~$16

for rock climbs with the possibility of getting stuck with temp down to 20F

there a rain jacket, a down poofay, a synth poofay, a blizzard 40F survival bag, water, food, headlamp, first aid kit, etc …all in there

very survivable down to 20F … id dont always bring all the stuff depending on conditions … weight including water and food ~5-6 lbs or less depending on what i bring

youd be surprised at what you can stuff in a very small pack with modern UL gear

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a Vaude Trial Light 12 is just enough for essentials, a shell, a couple water bottles and a snack. It is an older model with water bottle pockets on the outside, a feature that I really like and has been eliminated from the current model. I adapted the waist belt to make it removable but cutting the straps off, leaving 2" and sewed 1" ladder locks in place so a belt can be added. After using it for a while, I probably wouldn't bother. It also makes a great urban pack with room for a rain shell and a camera, but is small enough that it is easy to maneuver doorways, buses and crowds.

I just got an REI FLash 18 and I'm surprised how well it carries. I wish it had water bottle pockets. 18 liters is plenty for a day hike if you are sticking to basics. It had good room for a puffy layer, a rain shell, food, water and essentials. It isn't big or stout enough for carrying a DSLR kit or other bulky/heavy toys.

For a no-compromise day pack, I use an old-style Osprey Stratos 24 (http://www.moontrail.com/osprey-stratos-24.php). It isn't a lightweight at 3 pounds, but I can throw the kitchen sink in there and carry it comfortably. It is a "trail office." I had a Talon 22, which is a fine pack, but it wasn't quite big enough and the side pockets were too small. The Stratos has large side pockets that will handle a point and shoot camera or a small GPS, a well as snacks, insect repellent and sunscreen. The back panel is a trampoline style and a joy on a hot day. The pack is fully framed and gives great weigh transfer. That trampoline frame creates a curve in the pack, making it appear larger capacity than it is, but the water bladder rides in there, reclaiming some space and isolating the water from the electronics in the pack. You can remove and replace the bladder without unloading the pack. I don't like the water bottle pockets– they are too small for typical one liter bottles and they will poke me in the ribs. I found that recycled springwater bottles with tapered tops will clear my ribcage. The side packets are stretch mesh and I've found them handy for a bandana and gloves. There is a bog stretch pocket on the front that I like. I keep a Z-seat CCF foam sit pad and my maps in there. I could do a summer overnight trip with this one and SUL gear— SUL for compactness as much as light weight.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Locale: east coast

For shortday hikes or just messing around in the firld outback from my building, I use a Maxpedition Fatboy or a cheapie day pack from Wal-Mart.

Protege

Fatboy

Longer day trips or when the weather is bad, I use a Camel Bak Rim Runner, Northface Yavapai or the Ribz pack.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

the cilogear 20l weighs in at 310 g, is robustly built and is of a well thought out spartan design. there are two exterior mesh pockets and a zipped interior pocket for your wallet and keys. what's really brillant about this pack is how it mates to cilogear's larger packs to make the perfect extra pocket. i also really like how well it carries up between my shoulder blades. it's a great size for day trips.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

MLD Newt has been treating me very well.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

for long (DAID style) hikes I use a Talon 22 due to the increase chance of spending the night out; also use it in winter- clothing has more volume, shovel etc

for "normal" day hikes my Talon 5.5 is plenty, I can easily fit a 2 liter bladder and the essentials

Photobucket

loaded

Photobucket

Paul Hope

@paulhope

David,

It really depends on what I what my proposed activity is and what conditions are likely to be expected. With that said there is certain gear that comes on all of my trips:

-Hardshell
    -Warm hat
    -Neck Gaiter or Balaclava (it can be cold/windy above treeline anytime of the year)
    -Windshirt
    -Down jacket
    -Windproof gloves
    -Bivy
    -FAK (Includes sunscreen, Chlorine Tabs, WP matches & a mini bic)
    -Jetboil+fuel
    -PLB
    -Headlamp
    -Food
    -Water

From that base list, I then add items as needed.

The smallest pack that I have successfully used as been an REI Flash 18, it managed to fit all of my base gear inside plus my bivy when warranted and has lash points for my ice axe (which I carry well into June most years), helmet and crampons for spring snow climbs. However I just didn't like the way that it carried and I have yet to find a suitable pack for my needs in that 20-24L range and now my go-to pack for when I just need the basics is the 26L Wild Things Guide pack.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools