Topic

Baking diffuser plate

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Baking diffuser plate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My Backpacker's Pantry Oven has a stainless steel diffuser plate and stand-off wire perimeter that snaps in place. It works well but is HEAVY.

I was wondering if perhaps a titanium diffuser plate with rivets for stand-off spacing would work. Experimentation would possibly be expensive, given the peice of Ti sheeting. Rivets could be stainless steel pop rivets W/ spacers of small s.s. nuts.

Just a thought for those of us who love to bake, esp in winter. I've e-mailed Rand Lindsey at Trail Designs regarding this and perhaps he will try it – or not.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Hi, Eric,

Do you have a photo of your current set up?

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

the diffuser plate conducts and diffuses the heat really well – titanium is horrible for that. I'd recommend testing in the backyard first and be prepared for the odd issue.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Heard from Rand Lindsey today. I'm getting some ti sheeting from Trail Designs to experiment with. First I'll use copper sheeting for the initial attempts and use the ti for the final version I send back to Trail Designs for evaluation.

@Jim
    : GOOGLE Backpacker's Pantry Outback Oven and you'll see photos of it. I have the lightweight version and it works very well. What you see in the photos is the replacement lid knob/aneroid thermometer sitting on the upside down diffuser plate. (Why they showed it upside down is beyond me.)
    The "yurt" is a fiberglass hood W/ a vent hole at the top so you can see the knob/thermometer.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Since the heat diffuser is well…diffusing the heat you have to be picky about the metal. To me Ti would heat up too fast and be too hot during the baking time. I could be wrong and am open to be proven wrong ;-)

But IMO here is the thing: if you are willing to carry the weight of a BPO with you…well…then just carry it as it was designed! But let me add that I have happily used the diffuser from the BPO light version (it is the smaller set) without the hood with no issues. It is how I do biscuits, pizza, etc. I don't need the hood except for in winter in the snow. Anyhow…I don't carry the BPO very often though. It is just too heavy to justify most times!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Use an aluminum disc for a diffuser: light and works well.

Or, just carry a cast iron skillet, like Dad always did. No soap, btw. :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't think that an aluminum disc is the best choice. If the aluminum is heavy enough to withstand the considerable heat, then it is going to weigh something. If it is thin enough that it weighs hardly anything, then it will deform or melt.

I've been down this road before. I have used steel can lids and titanium foil. The trick is that you need to punch holes. The holes are numerous and large around the perimeter of the steel or titanium disc, and there are no holes at the center. This allows very little heat at the center and diffuses the heat toward the outside.

Steel can lids are free. Titanium foil weighs less, but it costs something.

–B.G.–

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Bob, I did tell Rand that I plan to use stainless steel pop rivets W/small s.s. spacer nuts to give the pot bottom enough stand-off from the Ti plate.

Also I mentioned to him that I may have to drill holes but not in the center, just as you mentioned. ("Great Minds" and all that…)

So I'm off to Lowe's or a roofing store to get some copper. I once lined my two machete nylon sheaths with copper so I know what I'm looking for.

Maybe this will become something Trail Designs will actually want to sell – or not. :o)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Hi, Eric,

I think I found a photo of the diffuser you're talking about.

If stainless steel will work (a poor heat conductor), then titanium should do fine. I'll be interested to hear how it goes with the diffuser that Rand Lindsly is hooking you up with.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Id be interested in checking out a lighter option that the old steel one. It does work really well though. I use my mine for baking all sorts of stuff on my little woodstoves.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools