Topic

My Gearlist, Please take a look

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My Gearlist, Please take a look

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robert Burns

@ledcactusyahoo-com

Locale: Cascades / Olympics (WET)

This is going to be my gearlist for a 1 month hike of the PCT, starting in southern OR working my way north. I will depart middle of June. Any suggestions for my hike on the PCT and my gearlist would be greatly appreciated. Most of the items I have acquired, and have weighed, a few others including the pack/stove havent been purchased yet. All weights in oz, unless otherwise labeled.

Pack: Golite Jam 2 (Med) 19 oz
    Bag: Mtn. Hardwear Phantom 32 (reg) 23.8
    Pad: Ridge Rest trimmed a bit 6.3
    Shelter/Raingear: Golite Poncho/Tarp 11
    Guylines:Aircore spectra guylines .2
    Stakes:hi-viz stakes x6 1.3
    Bivy: Titanium goat w/ headnet 7.5
    Water: 2 1L platys 1.6
    Purification: Aqua Mira 3
    Stove: Thermojet 2.5
    CookPot: Evernew 4.6
    Fuel Bottle: .5L Platy + BPL red spout .8
    Utensil: lexan spoon .1
    Fire: Bic lighter
    Matches: REI stormproof x10@ziploc .2
    Windshirt:Golite Helios 3.3
    Insulated coat: REI Gossamer 16
    Extra Shorts: Brooks 3
    Pants: Sierra designs windpants 5.1
    Warm hat: OR windstopper balaclava 2.6
    Gloves: Ebay possumdown 1.2
    toothbrush: .1
    toothpaste: travel size .5
    Toilet paper: in ziploc 2.2 (I know its a lot, Thanks for noticing)
    Hand sanitizer,sun screen, and deet in gossamer gear droppers 1
    Knife: swiss army .7
    Repair: duct tape roll: .9
    Headlamp: Freedom Micro + hat clip .4

CLOTHING WORN / CARRIED
    T-shirt (synthetic) 5
    Running shorts: brooks 3
    Socks: old cycling socks
    Shoes: montrail hardrock 30
    Hat: fast drying baseball 2
    Poles : Lightrek (120) ~6

Consumables:
    1.5-2 lbs a day ( not sure what yet) any ideas?
    fuel: 14
    33 oz water at a time roughly 34

TOTALS:
    Base Pack weight: 7 lb 7.5 oz
    Weight of consumables: 10 lb 8 oz
    total out of skin weight: 20 lb 15.5 oz

Sorry if my gearlist is hard to understand, it was my first one I've ever really put together since I'm new at UL backpacking. Believe me, it looks a lot better in excel. ANY help or tips on my trip would be appreciated. I am thinking about not sending drops, any thoughts on this?

-Robbie

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Others more experienced here will probably offer good tips about what you include in your list, but my first thought concerns a few items that may be missing.

For example, what will you do for a first aid kit? Perhaps I missed it. The duct tape may do ok for blisters, but that's the only thing I see on your list that might be used for treating physical issues that might arise. Like even minor things — scrapes, cuts, burns, headaches, etc.

An extra pair of socks might come in handy (in addition to the old cycling socks you'll wear), as well as a map and some instrument to help with navigation (at least a small compass) just in case you get off trail along the way.

Have a great trip, and hope you post how it goes.

JRS

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

How did you score a Jam2!?

David Wills

@willspower3

Looks to me like your prepared to be warm down to 20*. 32* bag, bivy (+5-10*), and a primaloft jacket (+5-10*). I don't know about conditions, but you may consider a 40* bag. Something like the No siveller could drop 19 oz (3 off bag, and drop the Gossamer), at a price. May want to get a lighter pack. A Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak is big and drops 9 oz. There are also plent of other cottage industry packs that are smaller and lighter (check BPL gear guide).
    Headaches are most often caused by dehydration, so drink up.
    have fun.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

>How did you score a Jam2!?

I think he said that was one item yet to be purchased.

I agree that you can probably go a good bit lighter on the sleeping system. All in all though, it looks pretty decent to me :)

Tom

Robert Burns

@ledcactusyahoo-com

Locale: Cascades / Olympics (WET)

Yeah, I haven't gotten a Jam 2 yet, although I would really like to =). I think my main reason for wanting the Jam, besides Skurkas influence on me and my gear list, hehe, is because of its amazing durability, that heavyweight fabric, at least as far as I can see might be worth it. Some of the items I chose to leave out or forgot to, i.e socks. Although, I haven't really come up w/ a good first aid kit sort of thing yet. I would love to be able to drop to a lighter sleeping bag, but unless I could score it on sale, I really don't think I can afford it(any more) after trekking poles shelter and on and on. As far as a navigation system, I'm sure closer to the trip my friend and I will have maps printed up, but I am on the fence about bringing my watch. I have a Nike Lance 4 altimer/compass for when I'm on the bike, but I'm not sure if I want something that big on my wrist w/ trekking poles. Thanks for all the responses, and any tips/ideas, or opinions I would greatly appreciate, and try to apply to my backpacking experience. Thanks.

-Robbie

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

In my opinion a good old fashion compass is worth carrying. No batteries to fail and no calibration issues. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy, simple is good.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

This looks very similar to what I am considering for a Tahoe Rim Trail thru-hike this summer, I too am hoping to get a Jam 2 when it comes out.
    I am leaning to a golite down vest instead of my Gossamer, and I am adding a Insul Mat Max Thermo 3/4 because… well… because I can.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I would use a lighter balaclava or take the face piece off of the OR windstopper. Then I would look at the food and water weights and necessities. 1.5 – 2.0 lbs. per day for food is high for good weather. And, water should be available so that you don't need to pack as much, just my thoughts. bd

PS: good gear list

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools