Topic

Bushbuddy pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bushbuddy pots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Evan Parker
    BPL Member

@ecp12

Locale: Upstate NY

I've been lusting after one of these for a while. My brother and I are planning on hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail at some point next summer and I saw on a trip report, a BPL member had great success with one so I thought it would be awesome to not carry fuel for 9 or 10 days. I'm looking to buy a pot that would fit the Bushbuddy Ultra inside of it. I was thinking the Evernew 900, but I don't think it will fit in there. Any suggestions on what you use? Thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

John Topping
    BPL Member

@johnt

Locale: Peak District

The Evernew Pasta Pot M is a great size for carrying the Bushbuddy Ultra but is not the most efficient shape (too narrow). So far I haven't found a wider pot which is also tall enough to carry the BB inside but it would end up being pretty high volume in any case….. if you are using the BB for one or two people then the Pasta Pot is probably a reasonable compromise.
    The BB is a lot of fun to use.

Evan Parker
    BPL Member

@ecp12

I was hoping that the evernew 900 or 1.3 L would fit it, but I don't think any way you put it in, it will fit. I was reading that the old BPL pots would fit it, but those aren't available anymore…. hopefully I will be able to find a pot that balances packability with weight

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

the snowpeak 900 mentioned is still available,the one shown in the photo in the old post I linked.

Evan Parker
    BPL Member

@ecp12

thank you anna, I've seen that pot, but I have a couple of reservations about that pot. I don't want to pay for a frying pan lid when I won't use it, I will be using it for two people so a little more volume would be appreciated. I'm just trying to see what kind of options are out there at the moment. As of right now, it looks like it's a dog fight between the snow peak 900 (or 1.4 L for a larger pot) or the evernew 1L pasta pot.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Yes, the Evernew pasta pot is mentioned in the second link I posted for you.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Evan,

Highly recommend using the Bushbuddy on the TRT.

If I did the TRT again, I would definitely take the BB.

The pot that I have for mine is not perfect, but it does the job: MSR Titan Kettle 0.9L.

The problem is that about a half of an inch of the BB sticks out the top and it means you can not close the lid on the Kettle.

The plus side is that the MSR Titan Kettle has a wide bottom, which it a plus for transferring heat from the BB to the cook pot.

Either way, one thing that I would definitely recommend is that you have a strong plastic bag from the grocery store or any of the retail stores for you to wrap around your cook pot. The Bushbuddy really makes a mess with all the soot on your pot, which is easy to clean with spray on oven cleaner, but you want the plastic bag to keep the soot from getting all over your other gear in your pack.

Great thing about the Bushbuddy is that you can have hot water for washing yourself!!!

-Tony

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Definitely fits well in an Evernew 1L Pasta pot (not the smaller version).

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You may not be interested but it is still available

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product399.asp

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have the Antig Outdoors Woodlore Stove and it fits very nicely inside the Evernew 1L Pasta Pot. The stove itself is only $32.95 (the low price helped me decide to try a wood burner) and Jeff just added a very inexpensive ($17.50) alcohol burner designed specifically for the Woodlore stove.

The stove works really well and is an inexpensive way to try a wood stove. If you haven't already purchased a Bush Buddy you might want to consider one of these.

Evan Parker
    BPL Member

@ecp12

That stove looks absolutely incredible. It's about the same weight as the original bushbuddy, but a third the price. Kevin, do you have both a bushbuddy and the antig? This seems to be really quite the deal, I wonder why it's so cheap!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Just and observation, not a complaint of the design, but it looks like nuts and bolts are holding it together vs. spot welded and is therefore taking less time to manufacture.

Also looks like it does not have an enclosed bottom like the Bushbuddy, which would also save time.

It looks like simplified copy of the Bushbuddy over all and should be effective.

However, it does make me a bit uncomfortable at seeing a design that looks like an obvious copy of the design of the Bushbuddy.

Simply an observation, not looking to start a flame war.

Competition is good for the consumer, but like to support the cottage industry innovators.

-Tony

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

It definitely does use nuts & bolts to hold it together. The manufacturer (I'm not at all associated with him) just moved his production and the price dropped due to some improvements in the new location. I do not have a Bushbuddy Stove so I can't compare them, but they do seem to be quite similar. I wasn't sure if I wanted to bother with a wood burner but this was a relatively inexpensive way to give it a shot (I already had the 1L Pasta pot).

The stove comes with a base but it is not attached. I think it's the bottom of the can that's been removed with a side-cutting can opener. It fits perfectly and you simply set the stove on it.

The stove is super easy to use – I usually have a scrap of paper around (most often a piece of the map from the trail recently covered) so I ball that up and put it in on top of the grate at the bottom of the stove. I then fill it with small twigs roughly 2-3" long and no bigger than the diameter of a pencil and light it from the bottom with my lighter. I then put it down on the base, put the pot stand on while it catches, put my pot of water on, and start feeding the beast more twigs.

I haven't used it yet, but I did buy the alcohol stove that is now sold on the same website. What really seems to be nice about this is you can use a combination of alcohol and wood without worrying about messing up the stove (no jets to clog on the stove). I used an Esbit in the stove last May to get some really damp wood going and that worked pretty well, but I'll take the alcohol stove the next time.

I'm not sure what the return policy is if you don't like the stove, but for $32.95 (plus shipping) you're not risking much. It comes with a stuff sack and, as I mentioned earlier, fits beautifully inside the Evernew 1L Pasta Pot while it's in the stuff sack.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Since Kevin opened the door to suggesting alternatives, you might also consider the Emberlit-UL. (Emberlit.com)
    Very close in weight to the BB ultra, folds flat and half the price. I had both the BB and the Emberlit and liked them both. That said, the BB got sold.

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

Locale: PA Wilds

For the past year I have been using the Evernew Ultralight Titanium 900 ml Mug Pot with my Bushbuddy.

The Bushbuddy fits inside but the lid of the pot does not fit over the stove inside. I just lay it on top and it all stays in place in the carry sack. I was concerned the handles would be too short, too hot when cooking. But I found I can grab the handles bare handed and they are just warm to the touch.

The pot is large enough to boil up pasta etc without it spilling over. Also use it for steam baking, works great.

Bushbuddy & Evernew ti 900ml mug pot

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools