Topic

DIY Alcohol Stove Fail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Alcohol Stove Fail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Flatt

@eliteoomph

Hey guys,

I tried to make this Alcohol Stove last night featured on this youtube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuuGdkri04
    The first stove took me a WHILE and at the very end when pressing to make sure I had a tight fit and seal I crushed the stove in-between my fingers… I was… lets just say livid… ;o)

So, then I started on the 2nd stove, it moves along much faster the 2nd time. Although it is very tough to fit the 2 pieces together I must say…

I fished the stove and filled it with a little over an ounce of grain alcohol which works just fine on my other open mouth alcohol stove. However, I can not seem to get this thing to light… I have heard people mention something about priming these stove but have no idea what to do… any help would be greatly appreciated…

Here is a pic of my stove
    http://bigcitymarketing.net/AlcoholStovepic.jpg

mike hutchinson

@pmsrefugee

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/waite_instruct.html
    The penny will hold back some fuel for priming. It also acts as a pressure regulator. Unfortunately Heiniken doesn't make this can anymore. I've seen some with a small tray to hold fuel for priming.

I'm looking at the Caldera kitchen right now with the windscreen that holds the pot.
    http://www.antigravitygear.com/trail-designs-caldera-cone-system.html

Jeremy Flatt

@eliteoomph

I'm a little confused about where the Penny goes and why it isn't lighting without it…

mike hutchinson

@pmsrefugee

The penny covers the holes on top but still will allow fuel to fill the stove. It holds some of the fuel on top in a little puddle so you can light it and warm /prime the stove. The weight of the penny lets pressure build up inside the stove, but is light enough to allow excess pressure out so the stove won't explode.At least that is how thet explain the penny stove if you google it. seems weird but it works. Look at the photos on the link and it shows how to flatten an area for the penny. It's the first link.

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

Read up on zenstoves. A priming pan can be anything that you can put under the stove and will hold a few drops of alcohol. Put it under the stove, drop in several drops and light it. The stove needs to be heated up to vaporize the fuel or it won't work. It will take a minute to heat up the stove and once it pre-heats the priming fuel will lick up the sides and light the jets.

http://zenstoves.net/ConstructionBuildaPrimerPan.htm

Jeremy Flatt

@eliteoomph

That makes sense… I tried the penny but could get that to work.. I'll try a priming pan and hopefully it will light…

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If you have a surface that won't burn, just pour some alcohol around the stove and light that. That should get the fuel inside the stove warm. Once the fuel is boiling, light the stove if it hasn't already lit itself. No need for a priming pan just to know if the stove will work at all.

Jeremy Flatt

@eliteoomph

I had an Aluminum candle can top and it worked well… The alcohol started boiling much faster then I expected and it only took about 20 secs for my stove to catch. In fact it was burning so hot I started to worry a little and put it out ;o)

Thanks for your help I am going to conduct some test now and figure out how long how much alcohol will last etc…

Jeremy Flatt

@eliteoomph

Having some problems now with the flame going out after 5-10 sec upon setting the pot on top of the stove… I am going to let it burn a little longer before setting it on and see if that helps.

Jeremy Flatt

@eliteoomph

Got it boiling… Had to let it burn for several minutes before I put the pot on it My other open top can stove takes maybe 20-30 secs… weird ;o)

Pete Wilson

@muddy-pete

Locale: east coast

I've had the same problem.

One thing I learned was to give the stove a few seconds for the fuel to heat up once the match was touch it off. You be able to tell when it's burning by holding your hand 6-8 inches above the stove.

Second thing I learned was that my canteen was sitting right on the mouth of the stove and was cutting off the airflow to the stove and the flame snuffed.

With denatured alcohol be very careful as the fumes are toxic.

Halcon

This wasn't an alcohol stove in the proper sense just something I threw together on the way out the door one morning. It worked.

can stove

bacon

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

Are you putting the pot directly onto the stove? That stove isn't really designed to have a pot go directly on top and it will need a potstand. I guess it will work with lots of preheating, but that's kind of a waste. The jets are a little close to the pot, and the pot kinda smothers the flame

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools