Topic

Dried Cranberries in Sunflower Oil 333 kcal/oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dried Cranberries in Sunflower Oil 333 kcal/oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chase Norton

@micronorton

Was in my local supermarket yesterday and noticed these in the bulk foods section. Labeled at 333 kcal/oz, I had to do a double take. Everything else around it could not even begin to compare with the kcal/oz ratio. This is incredible!

Chase

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Typo. Or confused. Or illiterate. (The labeling clerk, not you.)

1 ounce of oil has ~240 calories.
    "Diluting" the oil with dried fruit at 90 calories per ounce doesn't help.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

They run about 130 calories per 1/3 cup – which is about all a person can eat in a sitting (too acidic too eat much more than that). Anyhow, brands will differ in calorie counts but the oil is minimal, it is used to keep the berries flexible.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

Hear you guys loud and clear, something must be wrong on the supermarket's labeling. If 1oz of sunflower oil is 240kcal, there is simply no way 1oz of cranberry sunflower oil is 333kcal/oz. I am interested to see why it is wrong and will go back to check as soon as I can.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Was it per ounce or per serving? A serving might be more than 1oz.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

So I went back to the store to see what the deal was. Here is what I found:

dd

Thoughts?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You could file a consumer complaint about false labeling.

–B.G.–

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Yeah, that label is way off.

Even if you break down what they have and do your own calcs:

12g fat @ 9 cal/g = 108 cals
    77.7g carbs @ 4 cal/g = 310.8 cals
    .28g protein @ 4 cal/g = 1.12 cals

Total them and we get ~420 cals vs the 323 cals on the label.

Those 3 alone total ~90g in weight and there are only 28.35 (rounded) g in an oz.

A little deduction gives us a serving size of ~3.17 oz vs the 1 oz listed and using that comes up with ~102 cal/oz (using the 323 cal on the label) which sounds like a real number. If you use the 420 cal it comes out to ~132 cal/oz which is on the high side based on experience.

I also just saw it says there are 11 cals from fat in a serving which means the fat value should say 1.2g and not 12. If you use the 1.2g fat value above you get their 323 cal number.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

REI has a product with the same name from the same company on their site with what appears to be much more correct info.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools