Topic

Alcohol fuel storage question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Alcohol fuel storage question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    AAron Buchanan

@zenengineer

What's the best way to carry denatured alcohol while on a hike? I've seen lots of debate on which stove is best, but nothing on the best way to carry the fuel. Plastic container? Aluminum? With spout (squeeze bottle)?

Michael Schurr

@mrschurr

Locale: SW US
    James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I use a Platypus "Lil' Nipper" bottle with a BPL fuel cap, the red twist kind. It works well.

AAron Buchanan

@zenengineer

Thanks!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'm not saying this is the best means of doing it, but for weekend outings I use a 4 fl oz contact solution bottle. Its very light and holds just enough fuel. My bottle weights just 16 grams. It also has the squirt top on it. They make larger bottle if you need more capacity too. What I like best about this type of bottle is the control the nozzle gives me as opposed to the opening on a soda bottle.

Adam

E. Smith

@boingk

I'm hearing that people are storing their fuel in things like soft-drink and pull-spout bottles? Uh, just a word of advice [although you probably already kow this] – it may be a good idea to change to either a dedicated aluminum bottle or a markedly different non-drinking bottle that is clearly labeled. Anything else can cause mishaps when you're tired :P

I just use the light plastic safety-top bottle that the metholayted spirits comes in, weighs about 50g and holds 500ml. Also, its clearly labelled 'POISON'.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Yeah, I agree. But, if you use Everclear as your fuel, no hurt. (At least none you will feel until your hangover the next day).

Just a thought from a non-drinker.

Eric

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

I use the Nalgene hipflask, clearly marked "Fuel" both on the cap and bottle with white-out. It's manufactured to be stable against solvents such as alcohol, whether it's denatured or not!

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

The BPL red twist cap leaks on my Lil' Nipper. It's ever so slight, but I do notice faint alcohol fuels while hiking.

Anyone else have this situation?

Eric

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Once upon a time I thought I read that the red twist caps need to be trimmed a bit.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Anyone else have this situation?

I set mine on a piece of sandpaper and rubbed it back and forth until I removed about 1/16" inch. It fit fine after that.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Thanx guys.

I'll be pulling out the sand paper now. Seems like one of those, "Gee, I shoulda thought of that." moments.

Eric

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools