Topic

A few thought on hiking in winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking A few thought on hiking in winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

http://bedrockandparadox.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/on-hiking-in-winter/

There are more of course, but it seems like some folks need a place to start.

As with many things backcountry, the how is more important than the what.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Nice piece of writing as usual David. Enjoy the Flathead area winter; it is a lovely time to be there.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Good thoughts David thanks for posting.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Stuck up another post on winter clothing systems. No easy answers I'm afraid.

It just makes me sad that so many people hang up their overnight gear over the winter. The learning curve is a bit steeper, but hiking in winter really isn't as hard (or cold!) as most folks imagine.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thanks for the great posts. These would make a good addition to the BPL article library for those starting to explore the winter backcountry.

Seeing the first snow flakes starting to fall in lower Michigan this week has me as excited as a kid at Christmas for what should be an epic winter hiking season.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Thanks for your insights Dave, just did first winter trip this past weekend, maybe best trip ever! It snowed the night before and all day on the hike in, absolutely majestic being out there breaking trail, couldn't believe all the animal tracks.

The only bad thing to happen was the camera batteries died early in the trip. Glad I made the jump from winter day hiker to winter backpacker, can't wait to get out again.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Bping in the snow, lovely isn't it? If you like more solitude, less people out then too. I've already done one snowcamping bp trip so far this new season and my first ever car camping trip in the snow this year. Set to go on at least one bp trip every month again this year, after going less last year. I should be in the snow again this coming Thanksgiving weekend, another solo trip.
    Duane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools