Topic

Backpacking books w/ historical information on how trails/parks/areas came about

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking books w/ historical information on how trails/parks/areas came about

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I just read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods:
    http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-Appalachian-Official/dp/0767902521

Loved it… learning what trail life was like was no shocker but I really enjoyed the humor and historical/factual info he provided along his story.

I know there are books out there on the history of how different trails, national parks, areas came about in the outdoors world and I'd like to read more.

Any ideas for Xmas?

Thanks.

Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

Forest and Crag by Guy Waterman is an incredibly detailed historical account of New England's hiking trails, with an emphasis on the White Mountains. The book is like a bible, 880 pages of stories–historical in this case–lots of maps and photographs, and a chronological encyclopedic account of the idea of hiking and then backpacking and the creation of trails by stalwart individuals and groups. I especially enjoy the sections on the trails around the Presidentials, but there's an awful lot more there. The book was and I think still is published by the AMC and certainly available from them.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Thanks very much Mark, looks great. I'll try to track down a copy. Any other ideas out there?

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

Forest and Crag is very good and really charts the history of northeast hiking including the White Mountains, the Adirondacks, and Baxter State Park. Hard copies are nearly impossible to find, but it was recently released for the Kindle. I read it this year and it also covers the development of the AT and the Long Trail.

Another good book is Ron Strickland's Pathfinder which is a compilation of essays about trail building, including a lot of background information on the development of the Pacific Northwest Trail, which Ron helped found.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Thanks very much Phil. I consider you well read on the topic, so that's as good an endorsement as any. :)

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Watch Ken Burn's "The National Parks: America's Best Idea. I've seen most of it twice already and plan to watch it again next year. It is a very good watch.

Books. Been a really long time since I read an outdoors book. But I do remember reading "A walk across America" and a sequel to that. Pretty neat stuff if you can find it.

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

Another book I liked a lot was The Last Season by Eric Blehm. It's about a backcountry ranger in the High Sierra but I seem to remember it having a lot of muir-ish background.

Also I think Indian Creek Chronicles has more info, but I can't totally remember. Regardless, it is an exceptional book about spending a winter alone in the wilderness and beautifully written.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Another vote for Forest And Crag. If you're into climbing, Yankee Rock And Ice is by the same authors, and was originally part of the same book until they realized it made the book too huge. You can still get Yankee Rock and Ice in paperback.

Bryce, I can see if I can find my paperback of Forest and Crag… if you promise promise promise to get it back to me eventually, I could lend it to you. It's really one of my prized possessions :) Although if you have a kindle or similar, it's a good deal in the new edition.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools