Topic

gregory

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) gregory

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    michael mitchell

@wildmann

what would be better for a 3-4-5 day hike/camp, gregory z35r or z55? thanks!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Well, that all depends on the season and what all you carry.

michael mitchell

@wildmann

all season. only minor hikes(10,000-14,000 elev.) can i pack a weekend worth hike in a 35 or would i be safer for a 55?-thanks!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

I can cause my stuff is small.
    My friend cannot cause his stuff is big.

Not trying to patronize- but how big is your tent, how big is your SB; cook system; pad; etc…

FWIW My friend uses a Z65 all the time. It compresses well for shorter trips/ summer gear. And it can swallow Jonah and the whale for longer winter trips.

The 55- being in the middle may be the wise choice.

Decide on the pack last- let the size of your kit determine the volume of your pack, instead of vice versa.

michael mitchell

@wildmann

thanks! "keep on hiking"

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Yessir!

Troy Pratten
    BPL Member

@gogators

Locale: The Middle of Big 12-3+1 Country

My guess is the 55 would be better for weekend type trips. I just got my wife a Jade 50 (Extra Small, so listed at 46L) and she fit a down bag (10L stuffsack), thermarest prolite plus, extra clothes bag, hard shell jacket, weekend food bag, small stove, and personal odds and ends. We definitely filled it up. If she had to carry everything on her own (basically what she had plus the tent) she could have done it–I think.

Good luck!

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

I would go with the z55 since it's not much heavier than the smaller z series packs. I have a new z55 and I didn't feel that it held that much because of the curved shape of the back and the side water bottle holders and front pockets are really tight. I put it away after one trip and it's been sidelined ever since. I was glad I chose that size over the next smaller size. Very comfortable packs and I hope I find a use for mine one day.

michael mitchell

@wildmann

would you be willing to part with your z55 possibly?

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

If he doesn't want to sell his, my husband has a like-new Z55 that he doesn't use (he fractured a lumbar vertebra and the lumbar pad presses on the bad spot. It's a really nice pack–blue, size large.

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I'd go with the Z-55. Minimal weight penalty over the Z-35, and the Z-55 is one of the best carrying packs I've ever used. Feels good even with 40# in it (the most I've carried in it).

I don't use mine hiking very often anymore, but I've kept it around as a loaner pack and I take it on business trips because it fits nicely into an overhead bin — roll a couple of suits up, throw a laptop into the outside sleeve, add some books, shoes, etc…

If you're flight is delayed and you've got a tight transfer, there is nothing like a Z-55 on your back for a dead sprint down the terminal.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

You can pull the stay out of the Z55 and bend it straighter- thereby taking that crazy curve out of the back panel. Much better once done.

Ben F

@tekhna

I like my Z65. It's big and it's heavy, but it's also super-comfortable and can take a big load. I bought it for hostel-backpacking but it's done double duty for me. Probably not cool around here, but it's a great bag. Not super-durable though.. I'd buy from REI in case you need to return it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools