Topic

Kahtoola MTN 28 Snowshoe Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Kahtoola MTN 28 Snowshoe Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Kahtoola MTN 28 Snowshoe Review

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

You said, "The snowshoes I wore were conventional shoes with a crampon only under the ball of my foot. While traversing, the back of one shoe slid out and I tore my meniscus…" It appears that the snowshoe part is the only part with teeth under the heel of the boot, so that when using the boot crampon without the snowshoe part, you end up with "a crampon only under the ball of my foot." Does this pose the danger of having the back of a boot slide out while traversing, and tearing a miniscus?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Is the listed 35.8 oz for the pair or for one shoe? If it is for the pair that's lighter than a Northern Lites Elite, and only a couple or three oz heavier than the Racer. The Yowie's tend to be a hair heavier, too. Am I missing even lighter models?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Robert, you are correct. The crampon portion just has the teeth at the front of the foot. But you are not as likely to slide out with just your boots as you would with a long snowshoe.

Dean, it is the measured weight each. (deck and crampon) So total is 4.4 lb

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Atlas has attatched toothed aluminum strips along the parallel sides of a tubular aluminum framed snowshoe and dubbed it the "Aspect".

The result is MSR Lightning-style lateral traction edges. As they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." and in this case Atlas must have seen how well the Lightning Ascent 'shoes sold because they also added a snap-up heel lift ala Lightning Ascent 'shoes. And THEN they painted them orange, just like the Ascents!

I'll stick with my grippy Lightning Ascent 'shoes for now, especially after sliding over 50 ft. down a steep hill in 2009 and injuring my shoulder against a tree while using my older Atlas 'shoes.

P.S. I really like the removable binding/crampon of the MTN 28 'shoe. Great for early summer snowfield crossings. Grippier and likely no heavier than a pair of Microspikes.

Warren
    BPL Member

@icensnow

Locale: New England, USA

Thanks for the review Ray. I've been interested in these and appreciate your evaluation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools