Topic

ZimmerBuilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZimmerBuilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I agree that Chris is great to work with. He just completed a trail running pack for me, the TrailLight Designs SingleTrack, that you can see here;

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/hydro-pack—darrah.html

Pack

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Like the idea above and been thinking of something similar>

One reason I came to BPL was to slowly replace my inventory of store-bought packs with customized versions, so might need to take a look at the above design for a dayhiking pack, plus may be needing a winter pack from him or another US vendor.

Got my first custom pack from Chris over the weekend, an all-dyneema ruck modeled after the "half-dome", and putting it through the paces in the field on a day trip ..

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/halfdome—hkn.html

(ed: link add for more photographic detail)

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Call me an idiot, but I'd never heard of Zimmerbuilt. I just looked at his site and I'm extremely impressed with the packs he's made. I really like the cuben fiber pack he made for Jenny. Hhhhmmmmmm…….I'm not in the market for a pack, but I might have to be.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Chris makes great packs. I had him make me a GG Gorilla clone out of xpac. I love it! I was going to have him make another pack, but turns out the ULA Circuit had everything I was looking for. Can't go wrong with his quality and prices are reasonable.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Thom- nice pack :)

Matt Orr
    BPL Member

@matto

I bought a customized Zimmer pack from gear swap about 6 months ago. The workmanship is exceptional.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

A few pictures of my ZimmerBuilt trail running pack, the TrailLite Designs SingleTrack:

Pack - 1

Pack - 2

Pack - 3

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Thom,

Saw photos of your pack just last night on the Zimmerbuilt site. Very nice pack. Does it simply just zipper open for a hydration bladder? Or is there another idea going on there? Would be neat to see a picture of it open so we could see what is going on inside. I gotta say I really like Mr. Z's work. He is very talented at what he does.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

The pack has an internal water bladder sleeve and hang loop. Volume is sized just large enough to carry my trail running gear;

Patagonia Houdini wind shell
    Patagonia Alpine Beanie
    Defeet Handskins
    Defeet Armskins
    headlamp
    fuel (bars, gels…)
    1st aid (minimal)

R S

@rps76

Is Chris on here? I see he has a new Dry Bag Hauler called the Dusi. I'm wondering what the difference that and the old one.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

The difference between the two is that the Dusi has a bigger front pocket and has an aluminum U-frame, the Dusi also has Dyneema X shoulder straps and hip belt wings.
    Other then that they are pretty much the same.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Chris Zimmer just completed the TrailLite Designs H3 (HandHeld Hydration), I will have these available, along with the hydration pack shown above, soon.

H3 - 1

H3 - 2

H3 - 3

H3 - 4

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Oh man, now those are simple and slick looking! Great work Zimmermaniac, awesome design Thom.

One suggestion for future models if/when you revise or expand upon these Thom:

Stretch mesh pocket- for quick storage of spent gel wrappers, additional gels, electrolytes, headlamp, etc.

Simple dynamic compression cord w/ toggle for attaching windshell or liner gloves

Let me know how they work Thom, specifically how they keep the bottle situated in the holder on longer runs. I've found that the neoprene sleeve that wraps around my bottle on the Fastdraw Plus keeps the bottle from slipping out, I occasionally have to pull the bottle down and back into the holster after a while with those holsters that don't have a sleeve around the bottle…..if that makes any sense.

With the Ultimate Direction Fastdraw Plus handheld I can strap my windshell, wrap my XP2 headlamp around the top of the bottle, and store about 5 gels and my car key- fully loaded. The Ultraspire Isometric Pocket is a new bottle from a new upstart company, it gets pretty dang close to what I'm looking for.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I am definitely ordering an H3 when they become available. Nice stuff.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thom- have you had a chance to use the single track running? thoughts? improvements?

thanks

Mike

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I'm currently using the 2nd prototype of the SingleTrack and I'm pleased with the packs design and function. My recent effort has been to complete a tenkara specific pack and with this project now complete I can/will focus on completing the SingleTrack trail running pack and have the first run built and available.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks Thom :)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools