Topic

Synthetic Quilt question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Synthetic Quilt question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

Im thinking about trying my hand at a synthetic quilt and i had a question about the climashield from thru-hiker, if anyone has any experience with it…
    Will one one layer of the 50z/yd climashield apex be enough to achieve a 30 degree temp?
    Im 5'9" 155lbs and i sleep pretty warm…so im hoping that one layer will suffice.
    Also,will i need to sew through the material to keep it from shifting around on me, or just maybe sew the edges…all the quilt instructions i can find online are more for down quilts, so if anyone has any designs for a synthetic quilt,or knows where to find one, let me know!
    Thanks!!

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

No need to quilt it climashield apex is a continuous filament insulation. As for temps I am a warm sleeper and can take a climahield apex quilt made with 2.5 oz material to 35 with a 150gm wool long sleeve shirt a montbell down inner parka and a pair of windpants. You should easily get to 30 with your quilt

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I actually just finished making a quilt with the 5oz Apex. I have a whole post that I am just about done with on how I went about making it. I should have it posted later today. The one thing I can say is that I made it by sewing it with the insulation on the outside and then flipped it between the fabric. With the thicker 5oz insulation, I had to use extra strips of fabric so that the foot would move over it. I have pictures of this in the post, so hopefully it will make more sense then.

As for temp rating, I slept in it at about 32* the other night in long pants, long sleeve cap1, a fleece jacket that must be about 6 years old now and a balaclava and with no shelter above me. I was just barely a bit colder than I wanted to be. I could still sleep fine though. I think a slightly warmer jacket or a shelter of some kind would have made it work fine.

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

Im going to check your post right now!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools