Topic

ThermoBall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ThermoBall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

interesting … unfortunately with proprietary insulation, having independent measured tests of the insulation value will be difficult i suspect

In India, where Anker, Jimmy Chin and Renan Ozturk spent 12 days working up the high-altitude route, testing jackets may not have always been front of mind. But two members of the climbing team were there wearing parkas with a new technology, which was previewed for media at the Colorado event. Called ThermoBall, the product is a “revolution in insulation technology,” the company touts. In the hand, the fine filaments of ThermoBall feel like wispy pilled cotton, light and knotted with tiny spheres. Stuffed in a jacket, the new insulation will offer an alternative to synthetic insulations like PrimaLoft and natural down, the current mainstays of insulation for serious outdoor apparel.

Made to mimic the clustering of down, ThermoBall is fabricated as small individual balls of synthetic fibers. More loft, warmth and compressibility are the promised results. In charts delineating ThermoBall’s insulation qualities, the TNF fluff was shown to have a warmth-to-weight ratio not quite as good as down, but 15 percent better than a tested synthetic (we assume that would be PrimaLoft One). Like PrimaLoft, ThermoBall works when wet (down does not work well when wet). I pulled on a prototype puffy ThermoBall jacket, which was knit with a new type of triangular baffle system to cradle the fluff, and immediately I felt the warmth. In an interview, Todd Spaletto, president of The North Face, told me ThermoBall was one of the “biggest innovations in the history of the company.”

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I wonder what happened to this, have seen no traffic on Bpl or other places.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I wonder how it will do after prolonged compression (in storage)
    Franco

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I wonder if it's even coming to market??

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

next fall…

http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-news/gear-institute-top-stories/item/north-face-thermoball-synthetic-insulation

Filter the typical marketing bs… as compressible as down? I'll believe it when I see it… hah.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Looks like someone harvested the balls off a pilled sweater.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools