Topic

Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rob Rosenblum

@hikehikehike

Hi everybody,

I am planning a long winter trek and was hoping for some quick feedback about my system. I am relatively new to alpine hiking. Temperatures should range from mid-30's to low teens while active and some 0 degree nights.

Upper:
    Base – Midweight LS Merino 1/4 Zip (Gucci M3)
    Mid – R1 (not purchased) or deadbird Atom LT (already own for 3 season insulation)
    "Winter" Windshirt – Rab Alpine Pullover
    Puffy – FF Helios Hoody (camp/stops)

Lower:
    Base – Light Cap
    Pant – Marmot Scree Softshell

What do you think? My big question is about the midlayer. I have read so much great stuff about the R1, especially as a base/mid under the windshirt. I love the Atom LT for climbing, but fear I would overheat on the move with the ATom LT over the baselayer even in the coldest conditions, and the R1 would give me more versatility. Of course being the cheap-A$$ I am, if the Atom works, I could save the cash on the R1.

So, should I ditch the Atom for an R1 or equivalent?

Thanks for any help, I know its probably a stupid question..

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

As far as the R1 goes, It's usually too warm for daytime use. Great in the morning and evening.

Maybe consider adding a more robust top layer (I have a Marmot Precip and a RAB Kinetic) and a puffy bottom bottom layer (WM Flash pants).

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

personally for me the atom lt hoody is too warm down to around 20F or less on the move … every time i wear it at those temps i sweat it out fairly quickly

a R1 is useful to have, or a cheap 100wt fleece …. you wont need em around 30F, or i wont at least … but drop into the teens and you might find it useful when active

it all depends how hard you will be going and what type of movement … for belayed climbing i can see the atom being more useful … for continuos movement, especially up hill at those temps, less so

try it out in a day hike and see what works for you

Paul Hope

@paulhope

I will go slightly against the other responses and say that opt for my R1 9 times out of 10 for cold alpine use. My layering system goes:

-Baselayer: R1 Hoody, it is rather warm but perfect for high altitude, cold weathered days and the zipper is great for instant venting.

-Mid layer: First Ascent Downlight sweater, very warm but not too warm in cold temps when moving.

-Outer layer: Either my softshell or hardshell depending on expected weather conditions.

-Legs: I just go with Capilene 1 or 3 bottoms under First Ascent's Guide pants.

In my pack I will carry a First Ascent Mountain Guide Hoodied Jacket and a pair of FF Volant pants that are perfect for stops, camp, or emergencies. With all of this, I could probably stay warm down to about -10F and be comfortable around +40F.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

You said, "mid-30's to low teens while active." Pesronally I wouldn't want either the R1 or Atom Lt (I own both). If it is windy, I do like the R2 vest, which is very breathable and can be worn over a base layer alone or under a wind shirt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools