Topic

one old recipe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sharichev

@ivanchous

Locale: Moscow

2cup liquid honey
    1cup almond/cashew
    1cup raisinsdried apricots
    1 medium lemon.

put them in to meat grinder.
    5 min hand training.
    1-2 table spoon in early morning, with hot coffe….mmm

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've got everything but the lemon. Shoot. I'll have to wait a few more days until we get down off thia mountain to try it.

I'm wondering if it would work with craisins instead of raisins or apricots. In any case, it looks eye-poppingly good.

Ivan Sharichev

@ivanchous

Locale: Moscow

Vzletka
    something like "takeoff from the airport" and "jet fuel" in one word.=)

tea spoon of sesame and pastry poppy can be added (but you must cheсk the amount of dental floss before).

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Finally had a chance to make this. As I suspected, this stuff is wonderful. The lemon makes the taste really sparkle. I used medjool dates for the fruit, probably only 1.5 C honey, and used my daughter's Cuisinart to grind it to a paste. I like it better than Mike C!'s spackle. Gosh, don't tell him I said that. Definitely give it a try.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I figured a food processor would work wonders (it is how I make all my bars at home). Kathleen, you get your dates at Costco as well?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Yes, based on your recommendation. They are, as you say, beyond good.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I know…yuuummmmmmm! :-D

Costco is nirvana for dried fruit and raw nuts!!

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Do they have sugar in them? I was very unhappy when I found out their dried mango/berry combo was heavily sugared–I love that stuff, especially with the two varieties of mango, but can't take the sugar.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Diane – the container does not list any added sugar. But, of course, the dates themselves have plenty of natural sugar.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Oh, sure, natural date sugar is fine. I was just flabbergasted that the mangoes, which are also quite sweet on their own, were heavily sugared, so I thought I'd better ask. Just because it makes no sense doesn't mean a corporation wouldn't do it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The ones I use are in the fresh produce area rather than the dried fruit – so nothing extra added :-) And yeah….know what you mean! I read the bags carefully. I always buy unsweetened dried fruit.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

This discussion reminds me of the dried blueberries at Trader Joe's. I was buying the "Wild Dried Blueberries" because they were the same price as the normal ones. I thought to myself, "self, how can they sell wild blueberries for the same price as farm raised blueberries?" Looked at the label and saw they had the same ingredients (blueberries, sugar, maybe some oil). It took me a while to figure out, but then I realized they are adding much more sugar to the wild blueberries. The packages had the same number of ounces, the wild blueberries just had fewer ounces of actual blueberries.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools