Topic

Atlas Race vs Run Snowshoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Atlas Race vs Run Snowshoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

So I've found myself with access to a Atlas prodeal and need to decide if the Race is worth an extra $70 over the Run. Of course the weight is a bit different, as the Race is over half a lb lighter, and also has titanium crampons. Obviously the titanium crampons make it better for walking over exposed rock without dulling the points. Does this really matter for occasional use?

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these snowshoes? I believe I read that the attachment/harness on the Run is sturdier? Although the crampons clearly aren't. Are both just as strong/weak on icy traverses? Thoughts ideas, etc?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Eric,

I have a pair of Races, three or four years old (and I don't know if the design has changed in the meantime).

They're sure nice and light compared to other shoes. The crampons are smallish and while traction is good up and downslope it's lacking when I'm traveling sideslope. I've not had any durability issues. The harness isn't the easiest to adjust but seems okay with a variety of footwear.

Have never seen a pair of Runs, so I can't make a comparison, but the Races are my first choice unless there's a lot of fresh snow they'd disappear into.

Cheers,

Rick

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools