Topic

Recommend a trail runner with a narrow heel and wide deep toebox

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommend a trail runner with a narrow heel and wide deep toebox

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

My Salomon Comp XA 4's are going to have to be replaced soon. I've tried a gazillion pairs of replacements and just can't get it right. None of the new Salomon's compare with my old ones. I tried Inov8 Roclite 268,(close, but too loose in the heel) and the Terroc 308. I thought I had a winner with the Montrail Mt. Masochist, but the excellent arch support sits to far back, otherwise it fit like a glove. I have long skinny feet (10-10.5 N)and need good arch support (which I can get with inserts;what I did with the Salomon's.) I'm spoiled to the toebox of the pair I have, and that's a must have.
    If anyone has an idea, I'm all ears :)
    Thanks,

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Take a look at LaSportiva. The X Country has the same narrow heel as he Crosslite, and a bigger toebox. The Crosslite 2 (which I've yet to try) looks to have the same toebox.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Might check out the new Altra Lone Peaks as well.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Montrail Sabino Trail and AT both have roomy toe boxes, I'd rate the heel as medium vs narrow though

there was another Inov shoe recently posted on that had a roomy toe box- the 295 iirc, not sure on the heel though

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I own Salomon Comp 4's, not my main shoe.
    (I have three dozen different models in my closet).
    By my standards the Comps do not have a wide toe box, but I have wide feet.
    The heal is nice and snug though.

So you are looking for something that fits like the Comps?
    La Sportiva Fireblades fit and move pretty similar to the Comps but are a bit heavier.

to me, most La Sportiva shoes are designed for narrow feet like you claim to have.

p.s.
    are the newer versions of the Comp 4 that much different that you can't just use them?

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

2nd or 3rd recommendation here to check la sportiva. Try the wildcats in addition to the other models mentioned.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

go lite or go home! :)

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My long narrow feet have found a home in more Vasque shoes/boots than any other brand. I'm not sure I'd call the toe box "roomy," like a Keen or something, but they might be worth a try.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I will investigate these options.
    To reply to "are the new comps that different" to me they are. I found them to have changed the design on the comp 6s, no 5's in my size that I could find online to check, tried other styles but no dice.

Michael Jennings

@michaeljennings

Locale: Northeastern US

I, too, have long narrow feet. The lasts on Scarpa boots have always been great for me. i bought a pair of Scarpa Epic trail runners over the summer and have been very happy.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

"the Montrail Sabino Trail and AT both have roomy toe boxes, I'd rate the heel as medium vs narrow though

there was another Inov shoe recently posted on that had a roomy toe box- the 295 iirc, not sure on the heel though"

My experience exactly. Very wide toe box.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'm another one plagued by the need for a wide and high forefoot (C width) to accomodate my bunions and hammertoes, and a very narrow heel (something like 5A). At least for women's models, both the Montrail Sabino and AT have far too wide a heel for me. When I tried them, the toe box was fine, but the heel was so loose that the shoe almost fell off!

I have one new and one very slightly used (just started wearing them) pair of the old Montrail Hardrock shoes. Once they are done for, I'll be on a quest for the perfect shoe, which, for me, the 2007 Hardrock (designed before the Columbia Sportswear takeover) is. I'm just thankful that I was able to find (after much searching) the two additional pair! Should you find a new perfect shoe, I strongly recommend stocking up before the manufacturer changes the model!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

The Inov-8 Roclite 295 could be a little narrower in the heel, although I really wish it was the outsole at the heel that was narrower.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I was looking for the same thing as you, i ordered all these from runningwarehouse:

La sportiva wildcat
    Mizuno wave ascend
    Adidas supernova riot 3
    Montrail masochist

The widest was the mizunos but i just didnt feel they had enougb coushioning. The second widest and one i chose was the wildcat, lots of room, narroe heel, dries suoer fast, is light and has a good coushin. The coushin is not stiff though. The riots were my next choice they had the softest coushin, super squishy like gel or dense foam. They were also wide by i ordered a size too small and instead of ordering a new one just went with the wildcats cause they met all my requirements. Montrails were supposed to be wide but were narrow.

I have a d wide foot, on the verge of the next width up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools