Topic

To Poncho-tarp on not to poncho-tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion To Poncho-tarp on not to poncho-tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks pj for your thoughts. Yeah, simplicity is one of the big ones for me. I have come to dislike the time it takes to set up and tear down camp. To me it distracts from the wilderness experience. Some people like it, but I figure I fiddled enough with all my gear getting it packed and organized, I want to get to the wilderness to relax!

You'd be surprised how often I have been unable to find a suitable camping site in the west! Sure, there are plenty of designated sites, but they are often compacted and dusty (or muddy). If I want to 'stealth camp' Ray Jardine style a tarp and bivy is often my only choice below treeline. But here in the Northwest we get quite a bit more ground foliage than in the Sierras and Rockys.

I am hoping that by leaving the bivy open to my waist most of the time it will alleviate most of the condensation buildup resulting from the wp/b fabric. It may be, though, that I need a full sized tarp to help with that (it seems anything open to the night sky gets covered in dew around here, which probably worsens inner condensation). Only way to know for sure is to test…

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their input. I ordered a Gatewood Cape a couple of days ago (missed the sale :( ), and will be testing it out for the next few weeks once it gets here. I'm also considering one of Gossamer Gear's bug screens if the bugs turn out to be a problem for me.

Thanks again everyone!

Tom

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>I'm also considering one of Gossamer Gear's bug screens if the bugs turn out to be a problem for me.

I was able to get the Gossamer Gear Bug Canopy to work with the Gatewood Cape by adding some cord and mitten hooks. Just play with it a while and you will figure it out. I can't say it's optimal, but it worked fine.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Thanks for the heads up about that. In my youth, bugs were more of an problem during the day, as opposed to the night time, at least for me. I'm hopeful it won't be an issue for me this time around. However, being about 15 years older (at best) will probably make a difference.

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools