Topic

swiss seat harness seat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Has anyone ever used a Swiss seat harness set up during cross country routes when a small, non-technical rappel was needed? I ran into a few situations this last summer where it seems like something like that would have been useful. if anyone has used it before, did it work well? What did you use to make the harness, type of rope? webbing?

Thanks
    Dan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When I was in the Army many years ago, I was an assistant instructor in a rappelling school. We didn't have any fancy harnesses, so I taught each trainee how to tie a Swiss seat using a length of nylon webbing. One inch wide is the minimum, but you might want 1.5 inch for better comfort. After it is tied, you need somebody to inspect it for safety. I can't think of what would have been better, because that is all we had. One carabiner was necessary to hook onto the standing rope, although two can be used (in opposition) for safety. Back in those days, all of the rope was half-inch green laid nylon rope (not kernmantle) similar to Goldline.

I also had to demonstrate the body rappell, and it uses no harness at all. I still have the burn scars to prove it.

–B.G.–

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Ya I was thinking webbing would be much more comfortable than rope. I was planning on pairing it with a carabiner and a belay device. It seems like a good lightweight way to expand cross country route possibilities.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

camp make a harness that is 3.5oz and $50 … i havent used it on a route but have hung on it inside the store … if i needed an emergency light harness, id use that … enough 1" nylon webbing for a swarmi probably weights the same … and you still need to make the darn thing … an actual harness i suspect is easier to put on/off and set up

ive seen the camp harness on sale for ~20-30$ at times …

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/harnesses/alp-95.asp

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Thanks eric….ill keep an eye out for a good deal on one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools