Topic

Recommendations on puffy (preferably synthetic) jacket for son

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommendations on puffy (preferably synthetic) jacket for son

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Locale: N E Fl

I am looking for a good synthetic puffy jacket for my 11 y.o. son. We will be backpacking and camping several times this winter with his Scout Troop and he gets cold fairly easily. I saw the thread on the Costco down jacket and while I am tempted to go that route, I am hesitant because of the wet conditions we often face here in the South.

Any recommendations on a good jacket that won't break the bank would be appreciated. He wears a boy's medium jacket.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

The Mountain Hardware monkey fleece or equivalent underneath either a good rain jacket/shell ($80)… Sometimes you can find clearance. The adults are $140ish.

I like putting kids in OLD wool sweaters, yes the v-neck's with the paisley designs used for the office in the 70s and 80s; found in small adult sizes for less than $20, I usually pay around $15 w/ shipping, on e-bay or in a thrift shop.

This works great if you provide a shell like the Sierra designs microlite jacket ($39 – great for the $). This jacket acts as a wind shirt.

This is not a good rain jacket at all. You need to add rain gear or shell clothing with it. But I have used this layering system, with a synthetic base layer (compression shirt)very successfully even in rainy and snowy conditions. I am in California so I rely on the Dry Ducks by Frogg Toggs. They last plenty long for me. They run huge. So buy a size down.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Fleece might be a better option since he'll grow. I'd think in your situation the extra weight of fleece would not be a huge issue. If you to add to it a cheap down vest from a thrift store might be an idea. My strategy with down for kids is to only have them wear it in the evening when its cooler but they hopefully won't expose it to too much weather. During the day if its cold they're in thrift store fleeces or wool sweaters.
    If you really want a synthetic jacket there was a size small Montbell Thermawrap on sale here not that long ago but in my opinion you'd be better off spending the extra money on gear he won't outgrow next year.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

have you figured out his men's and woman's size?

if you have then you can often find gear in those ultra small sizes on department of goods or STP on sale

what temps are you expecting … as others suggested it may be more efficient price wise to buy him a cheap costco puffy for camp and a fleece for on the move

i remember when i was a kid, i wore jackets at least 1-2 sizes too big … it was a wonder that i didnt fly off like a kite ;)

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

landsend has down for women for 29 in the outlet. also check cabelas.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

I would consider getting him a slightly big for his size Montbell Thermawrap parka (hood comes in handy) that he could layer a fleece or down vest under if it got really cold…..and when he outgrows it, let your wife have it, or sell it here on Gear Swap.

Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Thank you for all the responses. He will definitely be using fleece, I am just interested in having that extra layer at night. Many of you know how important it is to try and be sure they enjoy their time outdoors and staying warm is just one way I want to help him do that.

I did see this item that I am going to check out from Old Navy http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=73893&vid=1&pid=887125&scid=887125002 . With 30% off in the store, the price isn't too bad. I appreciate the heads up on Lands End, they have some pretty interesting things as well.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

One trick is too do a search on the gear swap forum. Sometimes you find something buried there and the deals can be better than what you'd find elsewear. Womens and extra small items (and extra large) are often the last to go so you might find those marked down.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Hey, our Old Navy didn't have that particular jacket…and I'll be looking for it now. They did have a syn-fill vest that we bought for our 11-year old Scout, as a component that goes over his inner layers (his system is a tech shirt or long underwear, fleece, vest or jacket, Marmot PreCip shell). The price is right and, although it's not UL, it's pretty light and has a very durable shell on it (more than the jacket linked).

Of course, warm gloves and a good winter hat he enjoys wearing is crucial. Oh, and dry feet can be warm feet, but wet ones cannot, eh?

Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Well, we picked up one of the "Boys lightweight quilted jackets" from Old Navy. It was $30 after applying the 30% discount, so I figured we would try it out. The jacket weighs 13.8 oz in a boys medium and it has about 3/4" of synthetic loft. Hopefully we will try it out this weekend and let you know how it goes. They also have this for $34 in mens sizes. I went with a Lands End lightweight down jacket for $26, but that's another thread :).

old navy puffy

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Good deal. 3/4 inch of loft sounds better than a lot of lightweight snythetic jackets commonly used. Glad you found one. Lands End is not a name brand outdoor company but I used one of their vests and it seemed to be prett good quality.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Mr. Connor, let us know your, and your son's, review after this weekend! Thanks!

Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Well we tried out the Old Navy synthetic puffy and so far it seems great. We camped Friday night. It got down to 29* and my son was toasty. I am sure there are better synthetic insulators out there, but I believe this one will do him fine. The fit and quality appear to be good as well. So all in all a pretty nice jacket for $29.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

im taking a trip to the mall today to see if there are any for me to check out

while a $29 synth puffy may not be as "good" as a $$$$ patagucci or dead bird synth puffy … its something i wouldnt mind wearing on climbs where ill likely tear it apart in a season or two …

i may fit a boys XL ;)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i went into the store and saw a ton of the mens version available … in the US they are $29 …and for today theres 25% off in addtion … and theres likely a coupon somewhere … so you can likely get it for $20 or so … and they come in tall sizes for those freaks of nature ;)

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5286&vid=1&pid=862727&scid=862727002

the jacket fit runs somewhat large … and there is no elastic or drawstring at the bottom

but the insulation seems to be in the 60-80g/m range … and it seems decently made and warm enough .. fabric looks UL

im deciding whether to pick one up or not … id say that if it fits you, it aint that functionally different from a nanopuff … maybe a bit less warm, a bit heavier, and not as "well made" … but once you use it and abuse it … i suspect itll work fine

hmmmmmm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools