Topic

Hells Canyon in November: best off?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hells Canyon in November: best off?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

My wife and I are thinking about heading down to Hells Canyon over Thanksgiving. We know almost nothing of the area. We're looking for a 3-4 day backpack. We both do fairly rugged 25 mile days no problem, and would want to see the best of the area.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

David you may already know about summitpost.org but its a resource I have had good luck with planning trips in other areas. Never been to Hell's Canyon but they do have it on Summitpost.org so you can check it out. Hope that helps.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

I'm not an expert on the area, but basically the main trail heads out along the river, and any side trips go uphill and into the Seven Devils. Try checking into the Snake River National Rec Trail… it goes up along the river, really cool. Not a lot of mileage, but some tremendous historical places to visit and explore. Its way low in altitude, and usually very mild, even in Nov.
    Would be an awesome low key hike with great attractions. I spent the day at the Kirkwood Ranch, there is a museum there and tons of amazing stuff. Have fun!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I rafted it from the dam to Pittsburgh Landing this year. Honestly it probably wouldnt be all that awesome.

Well, it would be secluded (except for the people who live there- mail by jetboat!!) IT would be interesting to stay in some of the cabins and stuff. There may be some creatures around and stuff, but the main trail just goes along the river, cut into the cliff side. I havent researched the side trails or anything, maybe there is some sort of peak bagging stuff along the way. (no 'real peaks', but the canyon rim..)

canyon
    canyon2
    canyon3

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Dont forget your packraft! ;)

raft

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Our developing plans area as follows:

-Start at Pittsburgh Bar (reliable all-weather access)
    -Hike south on the Snake River trail
    -Do a 2 in 1 packraft crossing near Temperance Creek
    -Hike up to the Western Rim, then go north
    -Not sure on what trail we'll use to drop back to the river
    -Packraft crossing again, hike back to the truck

The only real x-factor here is water up on the rim. I'm thinking there will be some snow for melting, though perhaps not enough to be especially convenient. This may drive our choice of trail to drop back down and get water sooner.

Any thoughts on this last issue would be appreciated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools