Topic

Wood Stove Cans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wood Stove Cans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

So I am trying to make a diy wood stove using a paint can. I have read several different threads with ways to do it, and they seem fine. My problem is I can't seem to find the right cans to use. I want to use a quart sized paint can for the outer can. From what I have read, a 19 oz Progresso can should work for the inner. First off, I can only find 18.5 oz (which may be the problem), and this can doesn't fit into the paint can. Is this the right can? Has anyone else come across this problem? What cans worked better? I've got a working woodstove using a foster can, but I would like something with a larger diameter.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'm not sure exactly what can you are using for the "inner", but the lip on the paint can can be scored with a sturdy razor blade and popped off to make the inner diameter a bit larger at the opening. hope that helps.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

I have a silly question. Did you remove the base of the qt. can? I think you have the right cans. The 18.5 oz can should press-fit tightly in the underside of the lip of the paint can. Turn the paint can upside down, center the top of the progresso can in the qt can and press down firmly.
    Then you can use the cut-off bottom as an anti scorch plate if needed.
    Also, using a side cut or safety opener is the way to go.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Brent, thanks for your description of the process. I did not remove the bottom, but instead was trying to fit the can from the top. I'm going to make my way to the store tonight to get some fresh cans (because I have torn my first couple to hell) and give it a try that way. I think that is exactly the step that I was messing up on.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Great. This is a real good link for these particular components.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodgas-Can-Stove/

I like a mesh potstand a little better than the one shown, and it nests perfectly in the base between the walls. His might be a little more wind resistant however.

Have Fun!

Paul Valkavich

@valcas1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools