Topic

Bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

This month's trip to Market Basket revealed that Planter's has replaced their glass with plastic bottles. I think it is a keeper.

Below are the earlier bottles, immortalized by John Donewar ("Newton"),on the right, and the new Planter's bottle, on the left:

bottles

They both carry ~26 ounces of liquid and weigh just under 2 ounces apiece, but the Planter's is 1/2 inch shorter than the other, used in Walmart and River Queen brands (7 1/4 vs 7 3/4"). It is also IMO more comfortable to grab ahold of. They both are about 3 1/4 inches in diameter at the widest points. The Planter's also is in a plastic wrap that is easily peeled off without messing with adhesives, and should be easier to clean on the inside when mold strikes.

Party On, Newton.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Plastic mayonnaise jars are interesting too. Just shy of a liter and wide mouth, 1.6oz :)

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

Thanks for the idea. Now I have ideas about that Nutella plastic large jar, when I get to the bottom

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Get it as clean as possible with hot water and soap and then follow with dishwasher detergent soak and then baking soda to get rid of oils/taste/smell.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Just rinsed it in hot water. Only a faint odor of the dry roated peanuts after drying. No detectable oil. Not sure if it's worth the trouble of lots of washing.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hi Sam,

"Below are the earlier bottles, immortalized by John Donewar ("Newton"),on the right, and the new Planter's bottle…"

If we were on Skype you would see my blushing red face. ;-?

I am in total agreement that the older style is a pain to get rid of the label adhesive. I'm not ready to change to the new style just yet because of the way I carry these bottles.

Water Bottle Carrier Bungees

The indentations give my bungees someplace to snap into that is secure.

"The Planter's… …should be easier to clean on the inside when mold strikes."

I haven't run into a problem with mold as of yet.

Partying On,

Newton

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've been getting some practice in removing labels and their adhesive from various plastic containers like this. First of all, I pour hot water into the container to warm up the label adhesive from the inside out. If boiling water is used, sometimes it is hot enough to deform the plastic, and I doubt that you want that. But, hot water will get the adhesive softened. Then often I can peel all or part of the label off with a little fingernail work. When I get done with that much, just some adhesive residue is remaining. I have a piece of old terrycloth towel (for roughness) which I soak with white gasoline, and I rub that over the adhesive until it is all gone.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Re: removing oils— I was thinking more of mayonnaise than nutella.

John, great combo with the bungees.

I use Ronson lighter fuel for removing label goo from plastic bottles. I haven't found a food-oriented plastic that the fuel caused any problems with.

Make sure you dispose of the paper towels or rags immediately after cleaning— there is a possibility of spontaneous combustion. I soak them in water and they go straight to the outside garbage can.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Make sure you dispose of the paper towels or rags immediately after cleaning— there is a possibility of spontaneous combustion."

Use them for starting the wood fire in your fireplace. Spontaneous combustion can be a good thing.

I turned off the main heating thermostat in my home in 2002 and haven't turned it back on since.

–B.G.–

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Works fine and is easier to work with.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

John – Didn't realize from your MYOG pack post and pix that the bungees do all the carrying. Yes, I can now see why the grooves in the bottles are so important.

I'm working on a lighter version of an older pack where the bottles go into a pocket right behind your head at the top of the pack. The thought is that the water is the heaviest item, so should go where it packs the best. But since three of the bottles will take up internal pack space, the smaller the bottles are, the better. Will post the pack when there is something worth looking at.

Eric Braun

@dukedante

I use vegetable oil to remove adhesive from plastics. Works great! Won't combust either.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

For removing adhesives I can't beat Goo Gone. It's not messy or harmful and has a pleasant smell.

For removing smells/residue/oils I always soak with hot water and distilled white vinegar. Something like 20% vinegar. Then rinse out and voila!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools