Topic

Ultralight <Titanium, CF?> camp chair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight <Titanium, CF?> camp chair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I know there are a few sub 2 lb camp chairs (slinglight, thermarest sleeve, etc).

Is anyone aware of a sub 1 lb camp chair?

Thanks,
    MIkeB

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If you don't count the mattress, the Thermarest Trekker chair weighs 10.5 ounces. I don't take it much anymore to save the weight, but used to carry it regularly. Now I just lean my back against a rock/tree for support. If someone were to make one out of silnylon with CF supports they could cut that weight down quite a bit, but I think it is a bit of a niche item already.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

I made one last year from a gossamer gear spinsheet ground cloth (www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/spinn_sheet_ground_cloth.html). While I consider it still in "testing," so far so good. In use, imagine a slingback using hiking poles as a frame. Sorry – this is clearly a case where a picture would be worth a thousand words…I don't have one at the moment.

All I did was fold one end over about 5 inches and sewed in a slightly tapered pocket with seams that are reinforced with judiciously place grosgrain ribbon. To use it, I shorten my 3 section hiking poles to their minimum, lash them at the mid-point (a clove hitch around both seems sufficient), form an X, place the handles into the pocket with the groundcloth spread out, prop the working ends into the ground so that the poles angle back, and ease myself into place. Body weight holds the show together. I've found that I can make "getting in" easier by placing my pack on it to hold it in place – and then either prop my feet up, or shove the pack out of the way. Net weight gain is nearly nothing, giving that the groundcloth does double duty.

Quite comfy – though you need to add padding if you want to get your fanny off the ground. In practice, I don't find it necessary. The seams have held up better than I expected – I suspect that most of the stress is directed straight into the corners of that pocket – which is where I focused my reinforcing. Time will tell.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

I think the PackStool is around 13 oz.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>I think the PackStool is around 13 oz.

Camp Time Roll-Up Pack Stool: 14.9 oz. Removing the carry strap would reduce it by about an ounce.

J R

@ravenul

http://www.kifaru.net/fieldchr_hunt.htm

Kifaru Field Chair – 9oz

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The Slinglight is 18 ounces without the headrest. For comfort and how well it is built, it is hands down great.
    If I am really cutting what I carry, I just take a padded FedEx mailer. It is waterproof and takes a beating-and weighs a under one ounce. You can't beat that ;-)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If I had the time and patience I'd try to make one with Titanium and silnylon. It would be an interesting, if not inexpensive, experiment. As comfortable as the Sling-Light is I sometimes leave it at home to save the 16oz. It is the one piece of equipment I miss the most when I'm not carrying it. (Except the tent poles I forgot to pack.)

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

The Kirafu chair is EXACTLY what I tried to describe in my post above. I'm not particularly creative – I must have run across this at some point and squirrled the idea away. The main difference is that the top edge of mine appears to be much wider – in the range of 14 – 18 inches.

Mary Simpson

@maryphyl

I carried a sling lite for years–now I carry two sections of z-rest. Weight is around 2 ounces. I fold it the wrong way for sitting and with my pack as the backrest I am comfy. It is good protection from cold and heat and damp. The z-rest is also nice for kneeling over a stove–it serves as a decent cozy for hot foods in zip-locks and at night I use it for my feet as I have a short sleeping pad. Mary

Willison Willison

@willison

Camping Chair/Seat are most soft, comfort and variety of Camping chairs and Folding Chair which is easy to carry anywhere at afforable price.

* edited by sharalds – note: consider introducing yourself to other forum members and making some other posts before putting up an advertisement. But nonetheless, welcome to backpackinglight.com *

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a Kirfaru purchased here in the Swap forum and I believe it weighs about 9 oz. I can't seem to position the two poles so that they remain firmly planted without it sliding out from under me. I think I move around too much. The Slinglight, by contrast, provides too much comfort to leave behind.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

This is a nice chair at 6 ozs. Just add a 20 inch wide sleeping pad and you are good to go.

Allison Sayre

@teamalli

Locale: PNW

Basegear.com has these for $31 with their 20% off coupon. Shipping is reasonable.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

T-rest has a similar version, the Compack Chair, also at 6 oz.:

tcr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools