Topic

Soft shells vs. cotton anoraks in dry cold conditions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Soft shells vs. cotton anoraks in dry cold conditions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Anyone have experience using a soft shell jacket and a cotton anorak (separately)? (Edit: I'm referring to a single-layer, uninsulated cotton anorak used as a shell layer.)

How would you compare the performance of each of them? Obviously the cotton anorak is going to be more durable and resistant to heat and flames, but how do the heat and moisture regulation compare?

If I recall correctly, I could feel some wind in my Swedish army cotton anorak last winter at around 15 mph.

Those who prefer more traditional clothing claim that a cotton anorak is better than shells made of modern fabrics. I'd like to agree, since I only paid about $15 for mine. But, the thing weighs nearly 2.5 pounds. Of course, a higher quality cotton anorak would probably weigh less and perform better.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

its a wash, the only thing unlinned softshells like the anorak do is block some/most wind and keep snow off of you in winter. Nylon is lighter and depending on the fabric may be more/less windproof. I wouldn't worry too much

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In cold dry conditions the classic cotton, to 60/40 cloth shell worked well. In my youth I would often wear fishnet long under wear, a wool sweater a shell when active and then add a down jacket or vest when I was less active or it got colder. I moderate wind protection worked well. If the wind was blowing hard enough that it was bothering me, I typically put on the down garment that was pretty windproof as well as being insulating.

Would I go back? Not likely. I find modern materials lighter, more durable / weight, faster drying/less water accumultion. That said, there are lots of modern materials which vary quite a bit in their wind resistances and there breathability (inter-relarted but different) , and stormproofness.

Personally, I really like Pertex Equilibrium, but there are lots of good materials. I would advise staying away from membrane based soft shells: PowerShield, Windstopper. If someone wants something that breaths so portly, they might as well get the benefits of a full hardshell made from one of the better materials like eVENT or Montbell's BreezeTech.

–Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools