Topic

Best inherently waterproof fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best inherently waterproof fabric?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I am going to be spending more time in cold and wet conditions and since most membranes and laminates wet out within a day I was thinking of just making some items using fabrics that are just naturally inherently waterproof so that I did not have to worry about reapplying DWR or keeping them clean just so they breath.

What I am looking for would include pit zips, a full zip, a hood, and be durable. The weight is not really a concern for me as long as I can keep it to around 10oz or less.

I have looked at the Packa but I do not need the extra area for the pack and I have looked at the one from antigravitygear.com but I do need pit zips and I believe that it is not that durable.

As far as I know there is the cuben fiber stuff and the silnylon stuff. Since I don't care about the weight I don't need the cuben stuff. For silnylon should I be looking at stuff like the Cordura or is there anything else out there that I should be leaning to? Thanks.

Eli .

@feileung

This guy might be able to help you with Silnylon rain gear.

lukesultralite.com

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

You are a member. Have you looked at BPL Articles, Techniques?

The point of the Packa is to allow air to circulate.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Using silnylon you should be able to get well under 10 oz. I'd bet that you could be under that even using 1.9 oz coated ripstop or a light coated taffeta. Either will be somewhat more durable than the silnylon, and easier to sew.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think you will get wet in just about anything working hard in extended hard rain in humid weather, so the point is to stay warm.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

If you don't care about weight the outdoor reseach rampart jacket might be woth looking into. Should a lot more durable then silnylon and they have the torsoflow zips on the side for venting. I don't see it on their website anymore so they may be discontinued but there's still plenty of stores that have them in stock online

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Im gonna try the Rampart this year. In the PNW. It is pretty appealing with the stowable hood and torso flow.
    I'm gonna try it directly over 100wt fleece to catch any moisture I may create… that is, until I can confirm its breathability qualities

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

The rampart isn't breathable. Just waterproof coated nylon. I thought at least.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools