Topic

Removing old coated lining

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Removing old coated lining

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

A recent theft has driven me to pull out an older piece of equipment. Most of the coated lining is peeling off inside and I have a couple of old stuff sacks in the same condition.
    I'm curious if anyone has found a decent way to remove the remnants in a couple of passes chemically or mechanically versus just washing and letting it peel and shed for the next eon.
    Thanks for any answers.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Urethane?

Try scrubbing with pot scrubber for Teflon pans

If you scrub it and remove all loose material, maybe you can re-coat without removing everything. Also use detergent and rinse it real good.

Sort of like painting a house

Do one and see how it turns out

What are you going to re-seal with and what do the directions say?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've had great success removing old polyurethane coatings on nylon by just washing the items in a standard washing machine on normal settings using regular powdered detergent. Wash them by themselves as the old coating comes off in innumerable bits. Afterwards you have to run an abbreviated wash cycle in the empty washer to get rid of it all.

In the two or three cases I've done this a single wash removed all the old coating, with nothing hanging on and coming off slowly over the next decade. On the other hand, I had one tent rainfly whose coating became sticky, and no amount of washing seems to get it off. I will recoat over the old (still sticky) coating and hope for the best.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I'm not concerned about recoating, I'll use a liner. I'm throwing them in the wash when I get home, let you know how it turns out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools