Topic

what to wear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) what to wear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

I’ve seen many different threads about clothing before but i havent seen too many peoles actual solutions. im just about to buy some clothing and sofar im realy unsure of what the best combination is.

i see a lot of people are wearing a smartwool longsleeve top for both summer and winter. which is good because in australia our summers are up into the 100’s and i usually like to wear a longsleeve top. i also have very poor tollerance to cold so im guessing this weight would also be pretty good for temps down to about the 40’s which is about as cold as it gets here. if i thought iwas going to get colder i thought a possum down jumper, a BMW cocoon or a homemade fleece top would probably do the job.

as for bottoms, i really dont know what to do. so far my ideas are as follows. a knee length tight for underwear. i never wear underwear in everyday life but ive found that i start to get a bit of chafing if i hike for longer than a few days. i thought tights would be a good solution to this problem. though i dont like the idea of hiking in just tight so i thought maybe a pair of the high split marathon pants such as those from golite would be a good way to cover up and add a little bit more of a barrier. this would be all i would need for summer hiking. as for winter hiking i though the longer length golite lightweight tight and the knee length undertight would be plenty warm with the shorts over the top. as for wind and water wear im still really undeducated as to the possibilities. i like the golite reed pant and im not sure about its durability. is ther some kind of pant that has a full seam zip that can make it possible to roll a long pant into a short pant. whats everybody else solution to wind and rain. as for upperbody rain, ive been using a montane litespeed jacket. it has a good balance of breathability and water resistance so that i dont need a fully waterproof top.

im really interested to hear what other people are wearing.

Andrew Browne
    BPL Member

@andrew_browne

Locale: Mornington Peninsula AUSTRALIA

Also lightweight hiker from Australia
    1. Top for all conditions hot and cold NZ Icebreaker Superfine U Turn long sleeved top weighs 212g (7.4oz). Have hiked with this as my only top in SW Tasmania from 10 degrees C to 35 degrees C. Hvae a Cocoon Pullover if gets too cold but have not had to use it yet. If windy & cold usually cover upo with my Celestial rain jacket
    2. For hiking shorts I use Nike Drift Athletes shorts with a sewn in gusset/underpant (84g or 2.9oz) with absolutely no chafe experienced, dry fast and easy to wash and dry overnight. If cold, wet or windy usually put my rain pants (Macpac Jetstream) over this. I have Icebreaker leggings but have only had to wera them when camping not walking. I find a steady pace with few short stops keeps me warm.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools