Topic

Adding thumb loops

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding thumb loops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Has anyone tried adding thumb loops to an existing commercial garment? There are a few base layers and light fleece tops that I would like a lot better if they didn't ride up.

I'd love to hear about success, failure, or any ideas for doing it.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I haven't added them to a product but my 200 weight zip neck merino has them built in. They work well when using poles but I haven't had a long sleeve close fitting top since I started using poles so no comparisions.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

I chopped some tacky ones into some REI synth long-sleeve tees, and I really like them ( I just wish I placed them symmetrically.) I tried doing similar with a cheapo waffle-knit long-john top which had fairly short arms, and it wasn't comfortable at all.

So far, the REI ones are holding up quite well through occasional use over a couple years. =)

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Any suggestions on how to finish them? Cutting the loop should be easy enough. Should I just fold the fabric back on itself and run a line of stitching along it? That doesn't seem like the best solution. Maybe finish it with some 1/4 inch tape? Just bar tack around the whole thing like a button hole?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

The button hole method would probably be the easiest and most durable option. Just sew the bar tack first, then cut the slit in the middle.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The sleeves on my Rab Boreas were so long I added some. They're great.

http://bedrockandparadox.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/more-on-windshirts-rab-boreas-first-and-second-look/

I thought about using the button-hole setting on my machine, but the longest option was too short (I made them 2.5" long (ithink)). I sewed a line of stitching around the long rectangle of the shape I wanted, then went over all four sides with the densest overcasting stitch my machine has, using the narrowest stitch length available. Cut out the middle, lightly melted the edges. Done.

Matt Mahaney
    BPL Member

@matt_mahaney

Locale: In the District

Dave's got the process right. Stitch then cut then melt. I did this to a Sierra Designs Hurricane for my dad. Works well.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

If the sleeves are not long enough, you can always sew a loop of elastic braid (3/8" wide or so). Not as good as "real" thumb loop, but it does the trick:

Thumb loop detail

Thumb loop detail

Thumb loop detail

Tip:Make a half twist in the braid (as shown in the photo) before sewing it for greater comfort.

Cheers

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This is a nice technique Marco.

I've got a Rab Boreas on the way (Dave C. inspired me, sounds great for winter running/cycling/packing).

If the sleeves aren't long enough to do Dave's style, I'll add loops.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools