Topic

another rescue for eric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

This one is amazing. For those familiar with the San Jacintos, most would say a hike like this is almost impossible.

http://www.rmru.org/missions/2010/2010-012.html

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I wonder if I really SHOULD buy a SPOT beacon this year. I'm coughing up over $300. for an Ortovox S1+ avalanche beacon in November.

Another $100.+ for a SPOT seems reasonable considering I lead hikes and backpacking trips for the Sierra Club and go backcountry skiing, sometimes alone. Guess an open tib/fib fracture when alone would pose a nasty problem without a PLRB of some kind. (Or should I just stock up on Percodin and Oxycontin? :0)

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Drugs aren't the answer, man. Rush Limbaugh might here, will sign up, and then you'll need one of those lumber helicopters to extract…

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

eric

id get some kind of beacon ifr yr gonna be leading a larger group for anything greater than a day hike

the leader IMO should try to make things as "safe" as possible for people less experienced, and consider the possibility of rescue if there are injuries

i can see the day coming where someone sues one of these hiking groups for something that happens …

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools