Topic

MYOG Rain Mitt Fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Rain Mitt Fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

I'm going to sew some rain mitts. I have silnylon already, but was considering purchasing some WPB fabric from Quest Outfitters for this project.

The WPB fabrics they have are listed below. Any tips on which one to use? Or should I just use the silnylon?

EXTREME-3LAYER
    STORMSHIELD
    DRY-X
    GENERIC WATERPROOF BREATHABLE
    2.5 LAYER W/P/B
    LT. WT. W/P/B
    SPANDURA

Link to WPB page on Quest Outfitters: http://www.questoutfitters.com/h20.html#Waterproof/breathable Fabrics

I will be using these these in fall, winter and spring in the Kansas, Nebraska and Ozark areas.

Thanks.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I have some of the 2.5 layer WPB that I bought for some mits, gaitors, and a jacket. The dark grey feels like the face fabric might be a little tougher and it's a little heavier (6.3oz per linear yd vs 4.5 oz/lin yd for the ripstop face). DWR on both seems quite good. I haven't seen any of the other stuff but this seems pretty nice.wpb

Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

Sounds good. I'll give the 2.5 layer a shot.

Thanks.

Stephen Bodiya
    BPL Member

@stephenbodiya-com-2-2

Locale: Michigan

You can buy eVent from Ben at Goosefeet. Only problem is that you need to buy 5 yards. It'd be a great option if you plan on making some other things too.

http://goosefeet.webs.com/clearance.htm

edit: Oops all the 3-layer eVent is gone. 2 layer is left, but probably isn't a good option for mitts.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you got 5 yards of 2 layer eVent, you could just use it unlined, and if after a while the membrane became damaged, you could just make a new pair – 5 yards would make a lot of mittens

Or, Quest has some 2.5 layer WPB I believe, which would be pretty close to eVent.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools