Topic

Golite shangri-la 3 mods for snow.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Golite shangri-la 3 mods for snow.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DANIEL LIM

@girotrekker

Locale: Northern California

I am using the SL3 for snow camping. I am thinking to sew snow skirts around the perimeter. What do you think? Any suggestions on how wide the skirts should be? Also, I plan to put the SL3 over a pit. Any experience doing this…should I dig the pit first then setup the SL3 over it or setup the SL3 and then dig the pit. What is the easiest? Besides snow skirts any other mods should I make for snow season.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I went with mesh all around as it is a snow skirt in winter and keeps the bugs out in summer. Other mods people have done include using a wood stove to heat it in winter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMzQQ5eb-o

M

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I used to have an SL3 which I sewed a mesh perimeter on for bugs. I'd dig the pit last because pitching it is already a little wacky.

A snow skirt seems like a good idea. I have no experience with one, but 12" sounds about right. This will eliminate the need to pitch it right to the ground. I didn't like pitching it right at the ground because that reduced headroom near the edges too much.

The pole in the middle of the floor always annoyed me, and it becomes more problematic when digging a pit or preventing it from gradually sinking into the snow. Use two external poles if possible. See the photos David Olsen posted in the winter shelter thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55064

DANIEL LIM

@girotrekker

Locale: Northern California

If I use mesh for the snow skirt, this would mean that I must cover it all with snow, otherwise wind will blow through the mesh. Wouldn't it be better to use some ripstop material. I was also thinking to put mid tie outs. Instead of sewing them, can I use silcone and glue them to the sides. Would a strong wind rip them apart?

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I haven't used a shangri-la, but I did have a megamid I used for the snow. If you are going to did a pit, at least stake out the shelter first, then dig away. The trouble is how to support the shelter once you dig a pit. I've tied it to a cord between two trees and also lashed trekking poles and snow shovels together to make it long enough (depends on how much you dig).

I see no need for a snow skirt if you are planning on digging down, you need someplace to put all that snow after all. I would be very concerned about using mesh and it tearing when you try to take your shelter down.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

True that you won't need both the snow skirt and a pit. But, when there's not enough snow to dig down, the skirt would be useful. I think I would probably just use the skirt without digging anyway.

I never tried covering the mesh skirt with snow. Others reported that they've had snow freeze on the mesh and get stuck. Spraying it with silicone waterproofing spray might prevent that, but I never saw much use in using the mesh as a snow skirt myself.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I have used a sl-3 for the past two winters and I have found no need for a skirt. In fact, if you are expecting some heavy snow. I would dig a trench around the pyramid to give the snow somewhere to go. You also want to back the sides up with a covering of snow on the inside. This seals the pyramid and gives it strength. You can then dig down in any fashion that suits you. I tend to make a round table where the pole goes and dig out a lazy-boy with my snowshoes for back support. I have used a small tarp for a porch, so I wouldn't have to retreat in a snow storm. I like the kitchen outside under the porch – so I can socialize.

Have fun,

Dave

porch

This was after 8 inches of snow. It had filled the trench and was just starting up the sides.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools