Topic

New Clelland! Video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Clelland! Video

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

It's about clothes and layering.
    I think Mike did a great job with this.

YouTube video

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

Great video!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Who is the old guy who is the actor?

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Great video.
    This really drives home the point of a "system" where all the bits fit together.
    Particularly I liked how you can end up having as many layers on your head as the rest of the body overcoming the need for extra torso layers to compensate for heat loss at the top…
    The Dry Duck top is a bit too fragile for my taste (on open trail it would be great…) but the rest is very doable on most situations.
    Thanks Mike, very well done.
    Franco

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Mike,

Thanks for the helpful video.

Daryl

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Great video! Mike has excellent ideas

But, all the layers of fabric are not weight/warmth efficient – short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, wind shirt, dri-ducks

Better to have just long sleeve shirt, dri-ducks – and a slightly heavier down jacket

David Ure

@familyguy

I don't take anywhere near that many layers, even at freezing in the rockies. It takes just minutes for my core to warm while hiking and I wear only a baselayer in that case. If rain, add jacket. If cold when I stop, add insulated hoody.

I think many over conceptualize layering.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I disagree. It's good to peel off the layers if hot and have a short sleeve underneath. This is one reason I use a reuglar long sleeve button shirt so I can roll up the sleeves and adjust accordingly and then carry a merino wool layer for colder air if too cold or resting.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Great job, Mike! The presentation and content are both very good.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Donna – I am glad you disagree (about what, I have no idea), but this is what I do in the Canadian Rockies and it works very well.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don't think Donna (and Mike)are wrong – different ways to accomplish the same goal

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Jerry – I think (maybe) that she was responding to my previous post, and not to Mike's approach. Can't say for sure.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Ack! yes, it was Jerry I was disagreeing with but in fact, he is right as well. Whatever works for your hike and area. : )

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

But, all the layers of fabric are not weight/warmth efficient – short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, wind shirt, dri-ducks

Better to have just long sleeve shirt, dri-ducks – and a slightly heavier down jacket

That would be correct if you are preparing for some particular narrow temperature range and range of exertion. The many layers approach is more versatile and works over a wide range of conditions.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Stumbled across this last night. I found it quite interesting. Mike isn't trying to provide a definitive solution to a problem, but his solution for his particular environs. I appreciate his sharing. Take from it what ya can.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My summer/warm-ish weather layering system is:

1) 2 x Short sleeve baselayer (very lightweight synthetic)
    2) Down Vest
    3) Wind Shirt
    4) Rain Jacket

A baselayer is worn all the time, with the primary purpose of wicking sweat. Using thicker baselayers to actually keep warm in an inefficient use of weight compared to other options like a down or synthetic vest/jacket. The wind shirt gets added if it's a bit chilly. The down vest and wind shirt get added if it's cold, and then the rain jacket replaces the wind shirt if it's raining.

In the winter, my system is very similar. I still use really thin fast wicking baselayers because baselayers are all about wicking sweat, not providing insulation. If you use a heavy (ie. Cap 3) baselayer in the winter then you're just adding more weight then you need to. Then I one insulation piece (occasionally two) which can be a warmer down vest (EB Downlight) or a warm down parka (ie. Alpine Light) and then a wp/b shell goes over that only if necessary.

I like a hood on my windshirt but not on my 3-season insulating layers (ie. down vests/jkts). A good hood on a windshirt is valuable to combat bugs (used in combination with a headnet) and it really seals in the heat if needed. I don't like hoods on my insulating layers because they're vulnerable to getting wet if it's raining and then that wetness soaks down to the rest of the garmet. I really like my ex-light vest because there's no sleeves or hood to sneak out of my rain jacket and start soaking in water, and the torso length is short so it doesn't stick out the bottom either. This is way easier to keep dry than my MB UL down inner parka was.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i find that a lot of layers are actually less flexible in some ways … put it this way if you are constantly having to stop to take off and put on layers, you lose time … also you put yr layers at risk if you have to do that in poor weather IMO

i prefer to have a simple layer or two, that ill rarely take off or put on when on the move … use the zippers and hoods for temp control … and when stopped, throw on something insulating

basically
    – long sleeve base synth
    – windshirt or softshell
    – puffy

i might add
    – R1 style fleece (if cold, otherwise in pack or at home)
    – rain jacket (only if raining, otherwise in pack)

i personally cant imagine trying to put on and taking off layers constantly in freezing rain, or while climbing

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like a Weirdo Zealot to me :) Good job covering a subject that gets missed, and with a nice lack of elitist "gear worship." Great point on a hoodie covering the balaclava niche, but I really like saying "balaclava."

I think getting your head around an UL clothing system is one of the real challenges for many hikers. No one wants to be cold or wet, and clothing can add up in weight and cost. I think the real take-away from this video is to use several light layers and without a big thick insulation layer. Items like windshirts are common knowledge to UL practitioners, but they can be a revelation to the uninitiated.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Anyone know what bivy that was? i'm thinking about something water resistant just to put over my down bag

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I think the key thing about the video is that he emphasizes that you should have enough clothes for the coldest weather you can expect to encounter. The interesting thing to me is that his clothing system is pretty standard. This video could easily be considered a regular hiking/backpacking clothing video (with the possible exception of the rain skirt). That is my favorite aspect of it, as it refutes the notion that every part of every ultralighter's gear is extreme. It is obvious that he manages to keep his pack weight very low, while maintaining a very flexible clothing system.

For me, I sacrifice flexibility to save weight. I have a puffy synthetic hoody (BMW) that I use for my upper body insulation. I also have a fleece hat, gloves and Propore rain gear. I usually hike in shorts and a T-Shirt, and that is fine (unless it is raining). The rain gear provides wind protection (especially for my legs). This is enough warmth for me, but I might need some more clothes if I expected to sit outside in the fall. The big thing I lose is flexibility. Since my main source of warmth is the big puffy jacket, I can get too hot or too cold fairly easily. This is a small price to pay, though, to keep my pack weight so low. A fleece hat also helps mitigate this situation (since it provides plenty of warmth, but breathes extremely well).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools