Topic

Changing spring conditions (sun to snow)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Changing spring conditions (sun to snow)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

During spring, one can encounter a clear trail on the south side of a slope but snow obliterated trail on the north side. I've postholed a trail in front of a group of women but a little worried about postholing solo and potentially breaking a leg, even on normally well-travelled trails.

What are some lightweight/ultralight ways to counter this? …. Snowshoes? Microspikes? Big bad gaiters?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

If daytime temps will be high, and/or you'll have to get into the snowy slopes in the afternoon, snowshoes can be worth the weight. I like smaller ones with aggressive crampons (eg MSR Lightning). Depending on slope steepness and runout, crampons can be a good idea, and potentially an ice axe as well. I don't like Microspikes in this application, as you'll often get an inch or two of corn atop hard snow. Proper crampons with hold in both.

Being familiar with how terrain holds snow (aspect, avy paths, areas prone to windloading, etc) will give you a decent idea of what conditions can be expected. Check area snotel sites, plot them on a map, and extrapolate to get an idea of snow depth.

A complex and fun topic.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools