Topic

Preleminary PCT/JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Preleminary PCT/JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ryan …

for a cheap made in china (they all are) power supply … you can even get solar ones that you can strap to the back of yr pack in the day, not that i know how effective those are

try here …

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/internal-and-external-batteries-for-apple-iphone-ipad-ipod-220?page=1&pagesize=52&pagesort=reviews

and here …

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/external-batteries-power-supplies-522?page=1&pagesize=100&pagesort=reviews

make sure to read the comment in the reviews and forum posts at the bottom to watch for any compatibility issues … on the other hand they are cheap as hell … also note that deal xtreme takes a while to ship generally

but sure beats spending $$$$ on a brunton sustain that has a few poor reviews on REI and amazon anyways

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

As a Moment and Scarp 2 owner, I agree with you about the Notch.

For a stove, I like Mark Jurey's penny stove design. It can be finicky to make though. Plan on making a few for practice. :)

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

While it's fun figuring out how to make a penny stove work on a narrow pot (5 jets pointing in, 1 out to rim to heat it), it's a lot easier to just get a wide pot. That's what I'd do, then you can use all the different stove designs, especially the easy to make cat stoves, which are side burners. With a wide pot you're set for all designs, gas, alcohol, whatever.

If I ever find a wide evernew uncoated 1.3 liter used I'm going to switch to it for this reason, though I like the compactness of a narrow pot.

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

A good cheap wide cook pot is the Kmart grease pot. I believe it is made by Stanco. Aluminum, light weight (if I remember correctly its somewhere around 3.5 to 5 oz with the top. You need to replace the big black plastic handle that come with it), has a top, approximately 5 inches in diameter, cheap (about $8.00 tax and all). Paired with the supercat stove you got a pretty good cooking set up for less than $9.00.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The Kmart/Stanco grease pot comes in two varieties that I own. One is a small one, and one is a larger one. The small one is plenty large enough for one or two eaters. The larger one might serve for two or three eaters.

I always unscrew the big black plastic knob on the lid and replace it with a dab of epoxy over the screw.

–B.G.–

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look further into external battery options for the iPhone 4. I have used large portable solar panels in the past to run field equipment. High efficiency small panels are just not there yet. I know I would be disappointed with a little 3"x4" mini panel after coming from the real stuff. External batteries seem more worthwhile.

I'll consider the grease pot for experimenting. I cringe at the thought of using Aluminum cookware (for health concerns) and feel safer using Titanium. May try and get a cheap 900ml short/wide Ti pot that would work better with every stove.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools